Italeri Tu-22 Blinder anytime in the future?

Hey all!

As we all know by now, Italeri snapped up a bunch of the AMT/Esci/ERTL molds including the 1/72 armor and the Tu-22M/26 Backfire series. Does anyone 'in the know' have any knowledge of them repopping the Blinder kits anytime in the future?

I desperately want to build a couple, but just can't bring m'sef to put out $60+ (US) per copy with the possibility that I might ruin the damned thing.

Thanks in advance! :)

Reply to
Drew Hill

According to FSM "future releases" it should be release this year (fall).

Reply to
Yuri

I just bought Italeri's Tu-22 yesterday at a local hobbyshop here for some 23 euro's. Of course that was before I read how dreadfully inaccurate the kit apparantly is :(

Try

- Not sure if they ship outside NL and what it would cost, but they had a few kits left.

Reply to
Nemesis

Is it really 'dreadfully inaccurate' ????

Don't forget that there are two completely different aircraft - and models !!

The Tu-22 is the Blinder, the Tu-22M2 and M3 is the Backfire. Esci made both aircraft - and both the M2 and M3 variants of the Backfire.

I know that the Tu-22M3 Backfire is very inaccurate - in fact I did an almost complete remake of it to correct the deficiencies - see :-

But the Tu-22 Blinder does not look too bad at first glance - although I haven't really compared it with any scale drawings.

Maybe I should make that my next project ??

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast Flankers Website -
Ken Duffey

That url is the exact reason I made the post. Didn't realize they were different models :)

btw: be sure to leave that page up -- I'll be need>Nemesis wrote:

Reply to
Nemesis

I heard Panda Models from China are making a Tu-22M3 in 1/72 scale. I think this one is very accurate. Check their website out.

William

Nemesis wrote:

Reply to
William L. Powell

Maybe you bought Italeri Tu-22m Backfire. The Tu-22 Blinder is another plane and I don't think it's already available. I just came back from a trip to my local hobby shop (some 10 km from Italeri factory) and they had the new Italeri Catalog: it shows the "new" Blinder with russian/iraqui/libian decals (so I should be a Tu-22B). The guy wasn't able to give me a release date for the Blinder.

Reply to
Yuri

Well, a choice of Tu-22B (the export model) or something similar to the Tu-22R for the Russian markings (the Soviet model that was used as a basis for the Tu-22B). So that would be the free-fall bomber version of the ESCI kit; ESCI did two versions. The "TU 22 'Bomber'" the reconnaissance / free-fall bomber, including bomb bay and contents, and the "TU 22 Blinder B"; basically a Tu-22KD with a Kh-22 missile and an IFR probe. If they're doing the bomber, I may have to dig out my Italeri SR-71 kit and see if I can use the cockpit canopy from the SR-71B trainer as the basis for a Tu-22UD Blinder trainer.

Are you sure you'll be able to cope with a model that small, Ken? Go on, you know you want to. Besides, didn't anyone warn you about going Blinder after working on your Cock?

Speaking of which is your An-22 finished yet?

Jon.

Reply to
Jonathan Stilwell

I had it down at Yeovilton on the 14th Feb - but it was not 100% complete - but displayable.

I have just applied the serial number to the wing top surface (the Amodel decals are useless!!)

About the only thing left to do is add the de-icing boots to the prop blades - all 32 of them !!

I have been making a resin 1:72 scale SCUD-B TEL to go with it. Then that lead to a kit of the S-300 Grumble, then a newer variant, then a kit of the Tunguska, which prompted a BMP-1 etc etc.

So now I am into 1:72 scale Russian missiles & armour!!!

It'll wear off though...........

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast Flankers Website -
Ken Duffey

Yeahhhhhhhhhhh PLEASE !!!!! This is one of my favourite soviet planes ... she's looking at me from the attic and whispers ... build me, buil me ;-) Your help would be truly welcomw ..........

Reply to
Julian Herrero 'yuri'

I looked at Panda website and there's some confusion... they list

52503 as a Tu-22 Blinder and 52504 as Tu-22m Blinder....

The Tu-22m is a Backfire, not a Blinder and anyway both photos are of Backfires (a Tu-22m2 Backfire B the former and a Tu-22m3 Backfire C the latter).

Anyway Panda seems to rebox a number of Italeri and Dragon kits so I think it's the same kit.

They announced also a Tu-160m(?), but I still haven't seen these kits around.... I think they are still in the "Future Releases" on Hannants website.

My 0.02

Reply to
Yuri