Latest IPMS journal

I just got the new IPMS Journal. I quit the club in the early 80's because of the political bull$%#@ I just joined again in july hopeing the people have gone beyond the little petty whining. My-god look at this issue the guy that was the editor has three pages showing his problem with IPMS and it's leaders. Please tell me if I am wrong but I can see the decline of our hobby from a bunch of people that cannot understand the difference between. A hobby that is supposed to be fun as to the difference between a bunch of political and personal whining Babies. Please let's go back to the time when all we did was build models and have fun with. I started a club that meets at my shop every wednesday at 7pm. we only have one rule you have to bring a model and work on it. No club dues and you have to have fun. Keep it fun and build what you want, do not worry about the rivet counters. cheers John geigle IPMS 6302

Reply to
masterpiecemodels

I belonged to IPMS back around 1977-79 and I remember the letters declaiming so&so for saying such&such. I'm sorry to see things haven't changed much. OTOH, I enjoyed the articles. Back then, 'everyone' was building Phantoms but there were a few things on other subjects.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

John,

I have been a member of IPMS since 1973, through all the good and bad that has gone on in the society. I belong more now so I can attend the convention. The publication holds little interest anymore for me. In the old days the articles were better but then we didn't have all the great magazines we have now. IPMS even with all the warts is still a great organization. Like any organization there will always be problems ,mostly due to personality differences. Like you I was surprised to read the lengthy editiorial by the outgoing editor, and I thought it very inappropriate. I wonder if the powers that be in IPMS knew he was doing this. Whatever the reason, I think 17 years is long enough and the publication needed some new life.

Mike West/Lone Star Models IPMS 5994

Reply to
Mike West

I Agree, 17 years is a very good run. All the Editor did was to make himself look very foolish, It was enough to read the "I have been wronged editorial" but the two page center of the magazine was ridiculous. I have always liked IPMS I quit from 1980 to 2005 I joined again for the Nationals. I had a table next to The Small Shop. In fact I thought the show was fantastic. Everyone just needs to get past the petty crap and move on. That editorial should have never been allowed he should have bowed out gracefully. ]cheers John Geigle IPMS 6302

masterpiecemodels

I have seen statements like this ever since I have been in the hobby (nearly sixty years). There have been fierce competitors, whiners, and everything you see today since long before I got into the hobby (I remember about the older guys complaining about it when I was a kid.

Some people enjoy competing, some even enjoy politicking. One does not even have to join a club to enjoy the hobby, though I have been a club member of various clubs from even when I was too young to drive and my dad had to drive me to meetings. And there were fierce competitors and trophy hounds in my first model airplane club :-)

This is a true golden age for the hobby of non-operating scale modeling. When the first plastic kits came out, they had no cocpit interiors, little other detail, and there were NO aftermarket suppliers other than the paint and glue mfgs.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Very true When I was a kid my mother had to drive me to meetings over at the portland ANG the OHMS chapter of the IPMS. I agree that there are the competitors and the politicians but to put it on the pages of the journal is unacceptable. I would like to see more kids getting into this hobby that is how the society and the hobby will grow. It will end up dying over time with a bunch of nitpicking whiners.

Reply to
masterpiecemodels

John and all:

As the now retired Prez, David was inappropriate and he was trusted to do this issue and as you saw burnt his bridges and betrayed the Boards trust. But he is done now and IPMS is looking forward to all the changes that have been made to make things less competetive (yet more enjoyable), to support clubs and contests and all of modeling is what really matters.

And wait until you see the next Journal....................

Dave Morrissette

Reply to
dmorrissette

I hope the next Journal brings a return to industry advertising, color printing, and correct spelling.

...and an absenting of "political correctness".

If so, I might be encouraged to return to the membership.

Reply to
Rufus

At first, I thought the issue was just an April Fool's Day joke. I've only been a card carrying IPMS member for a few years. I never knew of any politicking in the organization, but my day job (Deputy G3 at Ft. Knox) keeps me preoccupied with (to me) more important tasks.

As for the journal, I prefer to see more "how-to" articles on conversions, techniques or just showcases of someone's nice model build. The internet has taken over in the kit review world. Hard copy magazines suffer from "jet lag". By the time the magazine hits the shelves (or mail box), a kit has been reviewed here, Perth Military Model Site, Armorama, Missing Lynx, et al, weeks or months prior.

LTC G

Reply to
rgronovius

I joined IPMS for the second time in 1987. In all honesty, I didn't even read the article in question in the Journal. As others have said, IPMS has had its ups and downs over the years and there probably will be more in the future; it's just the nature of the beast. The changes suggested below sound good and I will wait with anticipation

Reply to
Bill Woodier