Memphis Belle movie- revisions?

AMC had Memphis Belle on last night. But the final landing wasn't as I remember seeing it at the theatre. When I first saw the movie, as I
recall, when they tried to crank the starboard wheel down, it still would not come all the way down. There was a cartoonist on the crew, and he drew a cartoon wheel down, and lo and behold the plane landed on the cartoon wheel. A little flakey, but added something to the movie.
In the version I saw last night the crew was able to crank the gear all the way down.
Am I just remembering wrong, or was there a revised version of the movie?

That's an episode from Stephen Spielberg's "Amazing Stories" from around 1985. IIRC, the pilot of the B-17 was played by Kevin Costner. One landing gear is shot up and they can't get the Sperry ball gunner out. If they land wheels up, he's meat. When all attempts to get him free or get him a parachute fail, in despair, on final approach the cartoonist crewman fantasizes and draws a landing strut, that IIRC, was a giant candy cane with a donut on the end for the wheel/tire.
WmB
on 12/14/2007 10:43 AM WmB said the following:

Yes. IIRC, the cartoonist was the Sperry ball gunner himself.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
WmB wrote:

nodnodnod wot 'e sed! :-D
There was a funny scene where Costner went up to the wheel and poked it! Once all the crew were clear, the cartoonist (who had been the guy in the ball turret) stopped believing in the wheel and it vanished. The aircraft collapsed onto the deck, crushing the ball turret.
I believe there was a lot of inaccuracy in that. As far as I am aware, the ball turret was by far the strongest part of the aircraft and, far from being crushed in a belly landing, would have caused the aircraft to break its back. If the turret could not be retracted for a belly landing, procedure was to unscrew a *huge* nut secured the turret in its frame and jettison the turret over the sea.
--
Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.
On Dec > I believe there was a lot of inaccuracy in that. As far as I am aware, the

(hopefully the door to the turret was pointed in such a position to allow the gunner to get out first....)
maybe they could go in low and skip bomb the turret back to England. :-)
Craig

For those less fortunate, see below:
http://www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/gunner/gunner.html
Gordon McLaughlin

on 12/14/2007 3:14 PM Gordon McLaughlin said the following:

I see a pic of a remote controlled nose turret and a British tail gun turret, but not a single picture of a ball turret.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

We studied that poem back in some literature class in High School. Pretentious and silly little thing, isn't it?
Pat
I've got that on tape somewhere.The gunner/cartoonist was in a trance.Costner slaps him,he wakes up and "poof" the wheels vanish,the B-17 falls and crushes the turret.Now I have to hunt for that tape.It would make a hell of a conversion...

If you find it, I'm curious to see how my memory is doing - wasn't there a scene where the guys topside reach a point where they decide shooting the guy is preferable to him suffering the fate of a crashed landing. In my mind I can see the senior NCO creeping up on the hatch to the ball turret with a .45, before he thinks better of it.
WmB
WmB wrote:

Up till that completely goofy last scene, it was a very good story. It's like people are disappering off Martha's Vineyard after a giant "something" is seen in the area, and so the "Orca" sets out to kill it. But they find it's not a shark....but rather Cecil, The Seasick Sea Serpent... and the people aren't dead at all...Cecil has taken them to a wonderful undersea cave where they eat ice cream and candy canes all day. Then Cecil pulls the Orca back to Martha's Vineyard, and gives all the children rides on his back*. Remember Spielberg's "Taken"? He did the same thing that time. "The aliens are evil! The aliens are dangerous! No!....the aliens jus' wanna' be ouw friends....the po' wittle aliens! They can't wuv things wike we do." This is the cinematic equivalent of kicking at that football Peanut's Lucy is holding ready, time after time, year after year.
* (Soon, we shall see a movie very much like this concept, except this time you'll see the cuteness coming from frame one, so at least it'll be honest:
http://z.about.com/d/movies/1/0/w/8/Q/thewaterhorseposter.jpg
Now if it had been me writing that alternate "Jaws" script, they wouldn't realize that Cecil was a _female_ sea serpent, and that ice cream had tiny eggs in it. Eggs that would hatch in about a month, and then the larva would begin consuming the people from inside, like in "Alien". Soon the sea off Martha's Vineyard would be thick with "Cecils", as desiccated corpses, riddled with holes from the emerging larva lay thick on the beach like worm-infested driftwood...and they'd have to bring in the navy with nuclear tipped ASROCS. See, this should be the scene where the Water Horse eats the kid; snarfs him down like a candy bar.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/07/Water_horse_poster.jpg
Can you imagine the effect on the little tikes in the audience when that happens? That'll give them a real ass-kick into today's reality, pronto! :-)
Pat

I had the same exact feeling at the end of "Spider-Man 3" - when all the Sandman ever really needed was just needed a big hug - and when he got it he just went off on his way to live out his life as a tropical beach resort somewhere outside of Quebec.
Uh... traditional superhero-supervillain climactic asskicking and defeat please.
WmB
WmB wrote:

Shakespeare was one of the first people ever to realize that some people really are completely evil, because they get a real kick out of being completely evil. Rupert Murdoch for instance. I'll bet that SOB gets up ever morning and cackles like Ming The Merciless with absolute joy at the thought of the harm he's going to inflict on the world today.
Emperor Murdoch: "General O'Reilly...I'm bored...what plaything can you find to amuse me?" General O'Reilly: "An obscure body in the Sol system, your majesty...its inhabitants call it 'Earth'. In what manner do wish it destroyed?" EM: "Slowly, like a Aborian Toad set in tepid water that is slowly heated...thrown into boiling water, the toad will immediately jump free...but raise the heat slowly enough...degree by degree...over time...and the toad will never realize its peril...till it's too late." G O'R: "Most effective, your majesty!"
(Music cuts in)
"Al...Al...he'll save every one of us! Just a man, a man like you and me...but a man who'll set our world free. Who's the man...the man with the Noble Prize? The man who'll defeat Earth's warming when it arrives? The man who wrote "Love Story", and invented the Internet? The one Hillary Clinton fears will run for president? AL!....AL G...O...R...E! He'll save every one of us!" :-)
Pat
Pat Flannery wrote:

His acquisition of the Wall Street Journal have you spooked? The hysterics at the stock market will have to find another rag to go by if they want integrity. "King Midas In Reverse" indeed.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
Yeap,one of the crew (Kiefer Sutherland?) was going to shoot but couldn't do it.It turned pretty sappy then,the turret gunner had a pregnant English wife waiting for him at the base etc... Oh and for another poster,it was a special episode but not the first.The first was the ghost train coming through the kids house to take away grandpa. I remember looking forward to that series and being very dissappointed,I gave up by mid season.

eyeball wrote:

Aha... I was in Germany at the time. When BFBS started to show the series, this was the first episode they showed, so I assumed it was the first.
--
Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.
Enzo Matrix wrote:

That's the way I remember it to on American TV. Was it some sort of a preview for the series?
Pat

Oh wow, that was Kiefer. Hell today, Jack Bauer would not only have shot the gunner but the co-pilot and three others to save weight and extend range.
"Dammit! I'm sorry Chloe, I have to"
POP! POP! POP! (only three shots - Jack taps last two with one round)
And a very Merry Christmas and tip of the egg nog to ol' Kiefer in or soon to be in the brig for his 48 day stint.
WmB

after stand by me, kiefer want wanker than his lameass dad.
eyeball wrote:

According to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazing_Stories_ (TV_series) ...it was the fifth episode broadcast, although I only remember that one and the "Ghost Train" one. I could have sworn that was the first one broadcast. What's really a shame is that the pulp magazine "Amazing Stories" ran some of the greatest sci-fi and fantasy stories ever written, and you'd have thought they could have picked the rights to those up for a song. My older brother had a huge collection of old issues of AS, and I'd sit back and read those, and be downright awed by the caliber of work their authors could crank out for 3 a word on a monthly basis.
Pat