Memphis Belle movie- revisions?

Reply to
eyeball

I had the same exact feeling at the end of "Spider-Man 3" - when all the Sandman ever really needed was just needed a big hug - and when he got it he just went off on his way to live out his life as a tropical beach resort somewhere outside of Quebec.

Uh... traditional superhero-supervillain climactic asskicking and defeat please.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Aha... I was in Germany at the time. When BFBS started to show the series, this was the first episode they showed, so I assumed it was the first.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Oh wow, that was Kiefer. Hell today, Jack Bauer would not only have shot the gunner but the co-pilot and three others to save weight and extend range.

"Dammit! I'm sorry Chloe, I have to"

POP! POP! POP! (only three shots - Jack taps last two with one round)

And a very Merry Christmas and tip of the egg nog to ol' Kiefer in or soon to be in the brig for his 48 day stint.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

The ending you reember was from a SAteven Speilberg series Amazing Stories, not the Memphis Belle movie.

Reply to
Stanley Parker

after stand by me, kiefer want wanker than his lameass dad.

Reply to
someone

To the best of my knowledge, B-17 belly turrets did not retract. B-24 turrets did. Then again, B-24s weren't the best at belly landings either.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

According to this:

was the fifth episode broadcast, although I only remember that one and the "Ghost Train" one. I could have sworn that was the first one broadcast. What's really a shame is that the pulp magazine "Amazing Stories" ran some of the greatest sci-fi and fantasy stories ever written, and you'd have thought they could have picked the rights to those up for a song. My older brother had a huge collection of old issues of AS, and I'd sit back and read those, and be downright awed by the caliber of work their authors could crank out for 3¢ a word on a monthly basis.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

That's the way I remember it to on American TV. Was it some sort of a preview for the series?

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Shakespeare was one of the first people ever to realize that some people really are completely evil, because they get a real kick out of being completely evil. Rupert Murdoch for instance. I'll bet that SOB gets up ever morning and cackles like Ming The Merciless with absolute joy at the thought of the harm he's going to inflict on the world today.

Emperor Murdoch: "General O'Reilly...I'm bored...what plaything can you find to amuse me?" General O'Reilly: "An obscure body in the Sol system, your majesty...its inhabitants call it 'Earth'. In what manner do wish it destroyed?" EM: "Slowly, like a Aborian Toad set in tepid water that is slowly heated...thrown into boiling water, the toad will immediately jump free...but raise the heat slowly enough...degree by degree...over time...and the toad will never realize its peril...till it's too late." G O'R: "Most effective, your majesty!"

(Music cuts in)

"Al...Al...he'll save every one of us! Just a man, a man like you and me...but a man who'll set our world free. Who's the man...the man with the Noble Prize? The man who'll defeat Earth's warming when it arrives? The man who wrote "Love Story", and invented the Internet? The one Hillary Clinton fears will run for president? AL!....AL G...O...R...E! He'll save every one of us!" :-)

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

No, my dad's squadron book had lots of photos of what would happen. One wingtip would dig in and the whole plane would spin around in circles, and sometimes break in half aft of the wing. Ditching behavior wasn't supposed to be very good either:

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

I don't think that retractig the turret was the issue, I think (but could be wrong) that the access hatch to the turret was jammed when the German fighter hit the bomber and they couldn't get the gunner out. Added to the fact that one of the main gear was toast. I was told once many years ago by a guy who was a tail gunner in a B-17, that a lot of belly gunners died in this fashion.

Reply to
The Old Man

To get out of the turret into the aircraft, you had to rotate it so the guns were straight down, as the hatch was on the opposite side from them. In that episode the turret was jammed so it couldn't be rotated down to expose the hatch to the interior of the aircraft. I don't think he had a chute on in the episode so he couldn't open the rear hatch and just fall out either. There's info on it here:

does not look comfortable:
) Cramped as it was, the thing did work; and was the only true manned turret used on the underside of a bomber in the entire war, IIRC. Some earlier bombers used a retractable "dustbin" turret on their undersides, but those were usually only semi-enclosed, and therefore not suitable for aiming forward into the airstream.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

even the ju86 dustbin only had limited sweep. you had to have balls to ride one, it was sheet metal and struts. i doubt you could have survived landing one but you could climb/jumo out. that was one odd duck aircraft. i like diesels. on wheels, thank you.

Reply to
someone

His acquisition of the Wall Street Journal have you spooked? The hysterics at the stock market will have to find another rag to go by if they want integrity. "King Midas In Reverse" indeed.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Keifer Sutherland, IIRC. And he doesn't think better of it. He just can't bring himself to do it.

Reply to
Daniel