Movie vehicle, earlyish 70's--anyone remember?

Since most of use were teenagers or adults then, remembering back to the early 70's shouldn't be that tough, so... Post-apocolyptic (from disease as opposed to mushroom clouds IIRC)George Peppard, a blond cutie somebody, and a black guy somebody (who gets munched by 5" cockroaches at one point), vehicle is a fairly large (motor-home sized)van-type thing with twelve wheels in triangle groups of three at the four corners. The tires are silverish, and while the wheels may rotate independently, the whole assembly rotates on a center axle so it is fairly all-terrain. I remember other bits of the movie in case someone needs more info, but I didn't want to drone on. Any ideas?

Reply to
Disco58

i'll remember the title soon. it was an awesome book, really great while the movie was a mediocrity. damnattion alley, i think it was. in the book, scranton was the only place to escape mostly unscathed from a nuclear war. the crew of a missile silo tried to reach there. no silly rotating wheel coffe can, lots more fighting and narrow squeaks. i think it was zelaznys best book and deserved a better movie. dragged a friend to the theatre and talked it up...had to get him drunk to get over the let down.

Reply to
someone

Sounds like "Damnation Alley"

"The 12-wheeled "Landmaster" vehicle used in the film was created by Jefferies Automotive in Universal City, California. Despite the appearance of two "Landmasters" in the film, only one was built at a cost of $300,000 in 1976. The Landmaster is powered by a 391 cubic- inch Ford industrial engine, and features a fully-functional, custom- built "tristar" wheel arrangement, which could actually help it "crawl" over boulders. It also used an innovative steering mechanism that guided the vehicle, not by the front wheels, but by "bending" the middle section with hydraulic rams to affect a turn. The Landmaster's bodywork was made with 3/8-inch steel plating, which helped it tip the scales at over 10 tons. It was so tough, in fact, that it survived a

25-foot jump during testing with no damage. As of today, the original "Landmaster" is alive and well, and resides in the lot at the Jefferies Automotive shop on Cahuenga Blvd. near Barham Blvd. It has been somewhat modified from its original appearance in "Damnation Alley," with the enlargement of the driver and passenger side windows, and the removal of the flexible center section cover. The Landmaster was sold to a private owner in 2005, and is currently undergoing restoration to its original condition."

Bruce Melbourne, Australia

Reply to
Bruce Probst

Bruce got it - "Damnation Alley"

Also starring Jan-Michael Vincent, Paul Winfield & Dominique Sanda.

Written by Roger Zelazny, Directed by Jack Smight, released Oct. '77.

As is typical with HollyWeird, the book is remarkably better than the film.

-Kevin in Indy To reply, remove (+spamproof+) from address........

Reply to
Kevin M. Vernon

Congratulations on remembering it was George Peppard. The only thing I could remember from the movie was the weird thunderstorm.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

The Landmaster, the best part of the Damnation Alley movie.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

Cheers,

Reply to
Bill Shatzer

"Damnation Alley" George Peppard, Jan-Michael Vincent. Was a post- nuclear world, the vehicle (originally two in the movie - one was destroyed) was the Landmaster. That wheel assembly was actually tested by Lockheed and I saw a film once of a Jeep with the assembly driving up a flight of stairs at a good clip. It shows up on the tube from time to time. There were also a couple of models of the Landmaster out there. Once was well done and in the "first-born" price range, the other much more affordable and a PoC.

Reply to
The Old Man

Read the book, saw the movie. The only thing that they had in common was the title. The movie wasn't too bad, just very thin in spots. Maybe with today's CG effects, it could have been better done....

Reply to
The Old Man

First time I remember seeing the Landmaster on TV was as the Paperboy

2000 in Chris Elliot's 'Get a Life' (one of several rather bizarre shows from the early 1990s)
Reply to
Sir Ray

And a bloody good Hawkwind track too. All together now;

"I got the serum and I'm going to take it All the way to Boston oh I've got to get through...."

I'll get me coat.

flak monkey

"Damnation Alley"; the vehicle is "The Landmaster":

even gets its own Wikipedia entry:
are a lot of photos of models from science fiction films and television over here:
Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

You forgot the giant scorpions? For shame! :-D

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Wouldn't that be "the only anywhere near good part of the Damnation Alley movie?" :-)

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Yea, Yea, that's the ticket. Damn, you guys are good! And by the way, the blond cutie I was thinking of was NOT Jan-Michael Vincent, thank you very much! I could see Paul Winfield's face in my mind, but couldn't put a name to it to save my A$$. The reason I was asking about the vehicle was not an OT curiosity. I always thought it was very cool, so I was looking for images to maybe scratchbuild the thing. Thanks!!

Reply to
Disco58