Interesting riding machine

Hi Guy's, I saw something at an exhibition last weekend that some might be interested in. It's a vehicle? that would make riding a Sedgeway pretty tame. It's an overgrown skateboard, about 3'6" long & about 8" wide. Steering is by tilting the board, but the impressive thing was the means of propulsion, It's got a petrol engine driving the rear wheel/s. (Maybe only drives 1) It has an umbilical cord with a handgrip on the end, throttle, brake & I imagine a dead mans switch. Not the sort of thing I would try. Enjoy the pics. Ian S. Down Under.

Ian Sutherland

Looks like the common scooter we have here minus the steering column and with toe hooks, the kamikaze version. They're sold at the chain auto parts stores, but are illegal to ride in the street or on the sidewalks most places(doesn't stop the kids from doing it, though). Can get either electric or two-cyle gas versions, they run about $200-300 US. The gas versions can go up to about 20 MPH(and frequently do). Parents that have kids with one don't have to worry about college expenses, maybe hospital bills, though. I have seen them used for putting around between airport buildings and the private plane flight line so they're not totally without purpose. Your version is strictly for the snowboard crowd, instead "watch out for that tree", it would be "watch out for that lamppost"!

Stan

Reply to
Stan Schaefer

Anyone remember the movie Hooper w/Burt Reynolds? Back in the '70's Jan Micheal Vincent came in one morning riding one of these things when all the "old guys" had big hangovers...The more things change.....

Reply to
tim

Didn't they have one on "The Monkeys" once?

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

Just saw this gizmo in the Sunday Pep Boys ad(a auto parts store chain, for those not in the region). And it's being sold as, I guessed it, the Kamikaze! At least the kid in the ad had a helmet and knee pads, haven't seen any kids in my area riding the scooter version wearing same. Just cleaning the gene pool...

Stan

Reply to
Stan Schaefer

--For those who are brazen enough to try one of these don't forget to add *leather gloves* to the kit; this is usually the first part of the body to snag the asphalt...

Reply to
steamer

I saw an even more interesting design Sunday at the racetrack It was also motorized by gas, with contols on a lanyard, but you rode it facing sideways, with one foot through the center of each wheel. Left foot through the center of the front wheel, right foot through the rear wheel. Had all-terrain treads so you could take if off-pavement.

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B