monogram pby

Are cast metal gear parts really that much sturdier? I can see how they might be in the larger scales, and/or for larger real-life parts...but for the average 1/48th scale or smaller piece? At least plastic has a bit of flexibility. Now, has there been much work in resin casting, with embedded steel wire? This has been done in the figure arena. It provides strength, plus the superior "detail catching" quality that resin provides.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

While some 1/48 kits like the P-51 might not need the strength of metal gear, it would befinitely benefit the F-105 kit. I've built the -G and the model "rocks" on it's tall, thin main gear every time you disturb the surface it is sitting on. Also, it is definitely needed for the 1/32 Trumpeter kit, for both strength and the "rocking" effect.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

I am not doubting the need for a sturdy gear on the F-105, as I have built the Monogram version a time or two. I was just questioning whether cast metal, particularly "white metal", pewter, even brass; would be that much stronger, in such a thin, high stress area. At least plastic has a bit of "spring", to absorb some shock.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

you guys are making me nervous.

I bought a set of brass F-4 LG at Phoenix last year. They were a bit expensive for 1/48 but certainly an improvement over the styrene parts. I've got a lot of models in plexi display cases so they are tied down to the base?pins, that sort of thing. Over time, quite a few have suffered broken gear just from sideways shocks to the case or base. Over time, styrene gets brittle and landing gear struts get the brunt of any shock. Even my 1/48 Hasegawa night fighter Hurricane was found to be broken when I loaded the kit for a building demo. Repairing is not much of a problem but I think brass LG would have solved most of the problems.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

All light weights! Well, all but the F-105 maybe. It's the biggies that really need the benefit of sturdier landing gear.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Lost wax cast, brass is an institution in model railroading, it is probably

10 times stronger than plastic, and stronger than pewter; and it won't corrode the way pewter does.

Keith

Reply to
news.verizon.net

Me too...I'd put metal gear on an F-105 or F7F over the plastic ones any day...or on any USAF jet model in any scale for that matter...if I could get them.

Reply to
Rufus

"Medium weights"...being 1/48...but the F7F REALLY needs them.

Reply to
Rufus

I don't know about sturdier... But they don't give up anything to resin in detail !! I'm talking about the Teknics brass gear. I have several set's (all 1/48) and the detail is excellent !!

Allan

Reply to
AM

Agreed - they're excellent.