My uncle died on a WWII sub

For anyone interested...and it seemed appropriate for Veterans day weekend plus the fact that the Gato sub kit is the big thing recently. I thought I'd relate some personal family history. I always knew my dad's brother was killed on a sub in WWII. And I kinda knew the name ... " U.S.S. Shark ". I just didn't know what type of sub. Turns out I found a photo of Roy on the web and a web site dedicated to the loss of the sub U.S.S. Shark ( SS-314 ), a Balao class sub.

A salute to those on Eternal Patrol. God Bless

Chris

Reply to
CCBlack

If you are ever in New Jersey, the USS Ling SS 297, a Balao class sub, is in Hackensack, NJ. The Ling never saw battle, as she was in the Panama Canal heading to the Pacific when the war ended.

Reply to
Willshak

I was only on the computer for a couple brief minutes over the past couple days. On Friday, a Marine buddy and fellow Vietnam vet drove up from central VA to spend the night and celebrate the 231st Birthday of our beloved Marine Corps with steaks and beer. Yesterday, I spent much of the day at Arlington Cemetery and other Veteran's Day activities. Unfortunately, now this is a day late but Veteran's Day is a time remember those who served, those who saw the elephant, and many who never returned home. It is a time to honor the virtues of honor, valor, and self-sacrifice. Happy belated Veteran's Day to all the vets on RMS.

Reply to
Bill Woodier