Anyone interested in small generator sets?

Hi folks,

I think someone here is interested in small generator sets (perhaps Kim?). A local chap mentioned that he has a small generator set he wants to dispose of. I haven't seen it, but he gave me a brief description.

He describes it as being a "GPO" generator set. I asked him if there was a connection to the Post Office, and he says he thinks there is. He says it generates at about 30 V and weighs about 40 kg. It's powered by a small "gas" engine, although I didn't ask if he meant gasoline or bottled gas. He hasn't had it running.

It's located in Newport, Shropshire. Not sure what he wants for it, but I don't think it'll be a lot.

If you're interested, send me an e-mail (chris AT ruggedmachines DOT com) and I'll give you his name and telephone number.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Sounds like one of the small BSA charging sets.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Reply to
Charles Hamilton

I might well be interested Chris. I'll continue this off list.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

I've not seen the generator set myself, but I've sent you an e-mail with the chap's details.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I had a look at the generator set recently and got some further details:

It's marked with the letters "GPO" near a small panel meter. The engine is painted dark blue and I couldn't read the maker's name, but he says it's an Aspera. Apparently the engine is intended to burn gas rather than petrol, but this could probably be changed if you can source a suitable carburettor. The dynamo is made by Newton Derby, is painted light grey and produces 24.5 V DC. The carrying frame is welded steel with the engine and dynamo sitting on rubber mountings. Overall it's a solidly built set. Condition is good to very good. I'd imagine you could have it running in an hour or two.

It's located in Newport, Shropshire. If you're interested, drop me a line (chris AT ruggedmachines DOT com) and I'll give you the chap's phone number.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Hi all

I used to work for gpo telephones later bt and in the days of the gpo the engineers carried 24 volt propane gas powered generators to provide lighting in the work area at night or down manholes etc.. Could this be an ex gpo lighting set by any chance

Les Wood

Reply to
Les Wood

Hi Les,

I would say it almost certainly is. If you're interested in buying it, drop me a line (e-mail address in my earlier post) and I'll give you the seller's phone number.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy