New to modeling... Need some reference material.

Well I am not really new to modeling, but I have not built a model in about
15 years, when I was 10 and I really only glued them and slapped some paint
on them, and hung them from my ceiling.
Did that sentence make any sense to anyone other than me?
Anyway, I am coming back to the hobby and I am mainly interested in military
dioramas. I was hoping someone could point me to a website that is a good
reference to teach me different techniques for getting realistic looking
models. What are some of the good books out there that I can buy too?
Any help is greatly appreciated. When I finish my first model, I will post
some pics online so that I can share my projects. I also like to check out
other modelers works, so if you have any pics online I would like to see
them.
Thanks,
-diceshooter-
ps: Does anyone know where I can get a model of the USS Barry DDG 993? That
was the ship my dad was on in the Navy, but it is not a very notorious ship,
so I may just have to convert another battleship into the Barry.
Reply to
diceshooter
I say your best reference for modeling is the Internet. There are many websites out there that can teach different technics on modeling. Just do google searches for things like modeling technics, oil washes, gap filling, or any other modeling technics you can think of. Model club websites are another good place to look. I have lots of photos on my local club website. kcscalemodelers.com
I hope this helps a little.
Scott > ps: Does anyone know where I can get a model of the USS Barry DDG 993? That > was the ship my dad was on in the Navy, but it is not a very notorious ship, > so I may just have to convert another battleship into the Barry.
Reply to
Scott
Done a quick look see for you and came up with this...
me know if thats wot yer after
Mark
Reply to
Me
a very notorious ship, so I may just have to convert another battleship into the Barry.>>
Man, if he can convert a battleship into a destroyer, he's a better modeler than he gives himself credit for!
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete .mil.nav to email
Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy
Just carve away anything that doesn't look like a destroyer.
Tom
Reply to
Maiesm72
Yeah.. I obviously made a mistake, but I don't proofread my posts so I did not pick up on it. Thanks for your sarcastic remarks though. I see this group is full of mature adults willing to help each other out.
Reply to
diceshooter
pick up on it. Thanks for your sarcastic remarks though>>
Don't take things so seriously. It wasn't meant to be sarcastic, I was kidding. You did notice I said, " ....he's a better modeler than he gives himself credit for".
Most of us are "mature" in years (average age 39 IIRC), although attitude is sometimes questionable. And yes, we do help one another out whenever possible. Since you're new here you've missed a lot of the comments that fly back and forth. As you read and post more you'll get to be known, one way or another, and you'll get, and give, the same kinds of comments. For the most part, we are a friendly bunch, with a few dipsticks thrown in for laughs, and anything you want to know, feel free to ask. Like bungholes, everyone has an opinion, and you'll learn which ones to take as gospel. If you see any posts from AZHoser ignore them, he's an idiot who does nothing but breed hate and discontent. Sometimes there's a load of BS SPAM, but use your filters and you can ignore those too. There is a FAQ page you can get an incredible amount of information from, it's at
Sorry I can't help you on the Barry, hopefully someone else can.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete .mil.nav to email
Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy
Ya s'pose I could do the same thing to convert my Escort into a Porsche? Got a feeling I'd end up with nothing but a gas cap! ; )~
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete .mil.nav to email
Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy
nope, just gas.
Reply to