Normandie ship model - did anyone ever make one?

Chris:

I'm giving my age away here. The only kit I have ever seen for the Normandie was a balsa wood job by Ideal, about 24" long when completed. The Ideal kits go Waaayyyy back.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

JSC publishes a waterline 1/400th Normandie that costs about $20. It can be purchased at ....

Also available in the same series are models of the United States (my fav), Queen Mary (just released in past few months), Mauretania, Batory, Orange (actually 1/250th scale) and Wilhelm Gustloff.

The North Atlantic route liners all have wood decks (except the USS US, which is green astro turf), black hulls and white superstructures, the classic paint scheme for such ships. The Gustloff is attractive in it's hospital ship version. As a bonus, with the Gustloff you get the Russian submarine that sank her in a somewhat garish green color. You also get a tug boat to warm up on.

The Orange has a tan/off-white colored hull (for tropical steaming?) with of course the orange smoke stacks representing the Dutch crown.

The Batory is available as a commercial liner and as an attack troop ship in gray military paint. The title of this last model is "Operation Husky" and you typically find it listed under the military ships. It comes as a diorama with lots of landing craft and a deck load of trucks, Sherman tanks, halftracks and various other military equipment. This model is really cool, trust me.....

These models are not too difficult to build and make for very attractive displays.

If I was to tackle one of these models, I would probably want to do it in

1/350th scale, slightly larger. This is doable by scanning the model into your computer and resizing it with Photoshop before construction. Then some nice photo-etch that is available from the likes of Gold Metal Model (for the Titanic) could be used. I would also take advantage of printing it out on glossy cardstock with more vivid color contrast, which is easy to achieve in Photoshop. This might not be as the prototype, but I think it would look nice on the display shelf.

There are many other cardstock liners available from other publishers as well. Snoop around a little in the on-line store and see if your favorite ship is available. "King of the Hill" is still the HMV 1/250th Bremen, but this firm has recently released an impressive Cap Arcona which you can see being constructed at ....

..../Vess

Reply to
Vess Irvine

I have a set of pre-war plans for a kit (I can't lay hands on them now - we're remodeling :>{ ). The original was primarily balsa.

The scale is 1:686 !!!

JK

Reply to
John O. Kopf

There's a 1/600 sclae resin and brass kit available at

Did Heller not produce a kit at some point in the past?

Cheers,

Dave

Reply to
Captain Haddock

Thanks for the help. I'll take a look at the links.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Wow, that Cap Arcona looks impressive. I'll have to order a Normandie & check it out.

Reply to
Chris

Now THAT is an impressive model ship!

Reply to