Oil shortage leads to styrene smuggling

From Plastics Age, the industry magazine of the plastics industry:

Begin snip:

************************************************************************************* Washington, D.C. and Hong Kong, March 22nd

"Oil Shortage Leads to Styrene Smuggling" by Paul Ester

Local shortages of hydrocarbon products in certain areas of the industrialized world have begun affecting plastics producers to such an extent that an illegal hydrocarbon/petrochemical smuggling business has sprung up. To some extent raw chemicals for plastics production are also being smuggled, as are pelletized plastics.

A recent bust by the Hong Kong Harbor Police brought to light this illegal activity. A Liberian-registered bulk-goods tanker supposedly carrying palm oil and shaving cream to Shanghai was found to be carrying pelletized styrene instead. After further investigation the HKHP determined that the styrene had been bought by a consortium of leading Chinese injection-molding firms, many of which have ties to Western toy and hobby chains. Sources within the Chinese firms say that the price of raw pelletized styrene has risen so much in the last few months that they have been forced to turn to non-traditional sources and have even been buying styrene on the spot market. The Chinese did not want to reveal the source of the smuggled styrene but petroleum industry cources indicate it may have been Malaysian in origin. The Chinese police and intelligence services are further investigating the smuggling, and there are even rumors that the Russian Mafia or the Japanese Yakuza may be involved.

An Oil Institute spokesman said that although their Petroleum Intelligence and Analysis Section has had indications of an emerging plastics smuggling business, the Hong Kong bust was the first overt sign that the activity has reached such proportions.

The U.S. government is aware of plastics smuggling - a spokesperson for Homeland Security said that the Border Patrol, Coast Guard, and immigration authorities are on a heightened alert for signs of this kind of activity. As proof that some government employees do have a sense of humor, she did say that no Mexican "mules" have been found to be carrying pelletized styrene in condoms in their intestines, but that might begin to happen if oil prices continue to rise.

The U.S. DOE did not respond to our inquiries on this matter.

************************************************************************************* end snip

John Hairell

Reply to
John Hairell

Thus the April Fool's joke have begun. Rob Gronovius Modern US armor at

Rob Gronovius

I *told* my wife that my kit collection would be worth big bucks someday! ;-p

Reply to
Al Superczynski

has risen so much in the last few months that they have been forced to turn to non-traditional sources and have even been buying styrene on the spot market.>>

Wonderful, just freakin' wondeful!! Probably a bunch of damn recycled old Starfix and Merlin kits. And you know what happens then--all of a sudden(?) we start getting substandard kits from China, and then that virus will spread to old Soviet bloc countries....where will it end? Fortunately, that won't happen to manufacturers that are still here in the States....oh, wait ; )

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci

Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy

I don't think will come about. The Chinese know that the toy/ model industry is a very good money maker. The pellets needed to feed this can be had on the black market, but I think that although prices might rise a little, the quality should reamain. Please don't think that the Japanese aren't thinking along the same lines as well. A unstable condition in the middle east is all that is needed to bring this into the international buisness world. Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

Paul Ester? Like the one worn by anyone with a liesure suit 30 years ago?

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

No; that would be his sister, Polly Ester... ( :-P )

Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall

Cookie,

I was wondering how long it would take somebody to comment on that.

Outside of the too-obvious "Polly Styrene" some other possibilities were "Ethel Keytone" and also her friends "Beauty Rate", "Tara Phthalate", Polly Ethylene", "Polly Propylene", "Polly Urethane", "Polly Merr", and "E. Lastomer".

Evidently lots of Pollys work in the plastics business.....

John Hairell

Reply to
John Hairell

I was sitting back waiting for Cookie or someone to mention the chairs and couch in flight ops made from Nauga hides. The headrest on early ejection seats had the replacement covers made from red Nauga hides instead of regular cow or horse leather.

Rick MFE

Reply to
OXMORON1

I seem to remember ads on the rear covers of comic books for naugahyde. It seemed to include little naugas playing in a rock band. I assume at this late date that they were selling naugahyde-covered amps, but I could be wrong.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Just saw a magazine ad from a company selling guitar amps done up in a retro-'60s style and yep, they look like they are covered in naugahyde.

John Hairell

Reply to
John Hairell

Nope John, that is for the fake stuff, synthetic crap. I'm talking about the hides of real Naugas, you know the ones that you capture while out looking for Snipe at night. One must be really careful when bashing them with the bat or you will damage the hide, especially the red ones. It doesn't seem to bother the brown or grey ones.

Rick MFE

Reply to
OXMORON1

ah the joys of yout, my 66 electra 225, an acre of naugy and that weeks sacrificial bimbo had at the drive in.

Maybe he meant the one horned Corinthian.Chryler used to pay big bucks for the hides...only for the classiest cars ;-)

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

My wife has a green Nauga but I am not allowed to play with it, or even wonder if it tastes like chcken... She did say I can shoot all of the esters I can find, especially polys.

Cookie Sewell AMPS

Reply to
AMPSOne

There are real Nagas too, but they're Burmese tribesmen, and taking their hydes is presumably inappropriate.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Nay Mark! We're talking about NAuga Hides. The kind used for upolstery. The girls outside Clark AFB used to make good flight publications bags from NAuga hides also.

Rick MFE

Reply to
OXMORON1

i liked polys sister see. she was laid back.

Is it really green or is that just the way the light hits it. ;-)

WmB

WmB