One for the Rotor-heads...

Piasecki X49-A "Speedhawk"...really interesting scratch-building project for the helo-heads amongst us...I may try one myself:

Rufus

when was that from, rufus? it looks like 70's exp. damn cool. i want a 1/48 pie flying banana, but i don't know if there is such a critter. do you know? anyone out there?

Reply to
someone

Brand new.

willshak

That's from right now - first flight was 29 June, 2007. It's a modified Blackhawk, hence a neat subject for a kit bash. And it's just plain cool looking.

I saw the thing on the cover of a trade mag at work a few days ago and can't seem to get it out of my head...one of our SAR helo pilots was talking about it with me for a bit. The tech could seriously put the Tiltrotor out of biz if politics don't get in the way. Or do get in the way...

Reply to
Rufus

thanks, bill. the tail threw me...looks retro but i suppose that's the newest part?

Reply to
someone

that's why i love this group. everyone teaches everyone else....

Reply to
someone

Yup.

Reply to
Rufus

...ok...this wasn't what I was looking for, or my fav scale, but it's mighty interesting...

Rufus

ok...this is more like what I was looking for...

Seems Hobbycraft makes one in 1/72...and there's this one available in 1/48:

Rufus

a few details maybe? just the maker would do. i remember seeing those on the various demo days the 82nd had when they were stationed in nurnburg. they let us kids crawl all over everything.....but carefully supervised. even got to go inside a tank but i don't remember what it was.

Reply to
someone

thanks. hobbycrafts take work but can be made presentable. hello ebay?

Reply to
someone

Once upon a time Aurora had one out. It wasn't an original Aurora kit but it was about the same level of mould technology. Since then I believe Hobbycraft had one in 1/48th along with their 1/72nd kit.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Hobbycraft's 1/72 H-21 is ok, but Italeri in the same scale is just plain beautiful...in a banana sort of way.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

I remember something very similar called the Piasecki "Pathfinder II":

's more info on the Speedhawk:
Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Note the similarity. Evidently, Piasecki have been doing this sort of thing for some time. I like the concept.

Reply to
Rufus

This one -

Rufus

that's the onw i would build. price isn't bad, considering the generall excellent quality of fm kits. thanks, bud.

Reply to
someone

No prob.

Reply to
Rufus

going to mum's for the holiday? we're going to big bear to laugh at the snow.

Reply to
someone

On the other hand though...if the military didn't want it the first time, why would they want it now? Piasecki has gone off in odd directions before, most notably with the giant blimp-helicopter hybrid Helistat that fell apart in midair, killing the pilot:

that the official company website doesn't mention that it crashed. I find that interesting, to say the least. ...as is the fact that it used four Sikorsky helicopter bodies rather than Piasecki ones. :-) Piasecki isn't exactly a giant in the field of helicopters anymore; the company has 53 employees:
Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery