Orion and Altair models

Does anyone know if there are any resin or plastic models of the proposed Orion and Altair spacecraft available anywhere?

Reply to
rwalker

see the link below - but given the present state of flux in the program - Ares I is again being traded against military boosters by the Obama Admin, and Altair is in a reallly early state of design, even Orion is probably less mature than the Block I CSM models that we still complain about, I tend to think now is now a good time for models of these vehicles.

Val Kraut

Val Kraut

ment to type now is noT a good time

Reply to
Val Kraut

Let's see.... I have a couple of 1:144 solid boosters in the scraps bin from that 'Con a couple of years back, the top two stages from my 1:144 Apollo/ Saturn. Decals can be made. Yeah I could bash this one and have it about as accurate as any Revell Apollo model. Or I can wait another generation. 8-P

Reply to
The Old Man

Yes, I figure that any models produced now will look considerably different than the final vehicles actually will appear, but that's half the reason I'd like to have them. I'd love to have some models of the prototypes of the LM from the Apollo program as well.

Reply to
rwalker

Either way, thanks for the reply.

Reply to
rwalker

In the initial pre-proposal study Grumman's entry was called "The Bug" - a small spacecraft with seated astronauts, one engine for both descent and ascent and a short stay to run out and grab samples. The two stage design followed with 5 legs, four big windows in the ascent stage, seated astronauts, a rounded descent stage, a forward hatch that could dock with the CSM and shett metal Whipple shields. The final design featured four legs, two small canted windows and standing astronauts.

There were also some interesting one stage does it all design from North American, and Apollo rescue vehicle based on Gemini fron MacDonald.

Then there was the Gemini MOL lab program.- a spy in the sky with crew

A study on using a S IVB wet workshop and CSM to circumnavigate Venus.

Apollo Applications with LM cargo vehicles, LM Taxis and LM Habitats

and many others

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

Sounds like lots of opportunity for scratch building. I've done a lot of that with ship models, but not with spacecraft.

Reply to
rwalker