OT Cheapest big engined jet kit?

Question is - What is the cheapest aircraft kit with the biggest engines (podded, not mounted in the wing itself) in the 1:144-1:72 range?

Alternatively does anyone have any ideas on fabricating ducted fans (non rotating blades is fine, they just need to look the part and inside the duct they are not that visible).

Cost is a major consideration in all of this, but I do want to make these so I'll spring for a suitable civilian aircraft in the hope I can use the wheels and possibly other bits for additional projects.

Why? - I have some old (bought in the mid 1970s) Heller Cadet 'Frelon' helecopters I want to turn into some kind of sci-fi transport (1:76ish). Think my best option is to make up a stub-wing to go over the rotor mounting and fit the biggest turbofan engines I can get on the ends (this is for a kiddie so they have to be moveable for take of and landing).

I would need two engines per Frelon, and I have three kits left, so two four engined or three two engined planes would be required.

The newer Boeings seem to have rather large engine pods, but I'm no expert.

If they are cheap enough I might consider doing something similar with an Airfix Vertol using four engines, not necessarily matching, as a 'heavy transport' (hey it was good enough for Jerry Anderson!)

Odd question I know, but couldn't find alt.kits.bodge on my news server.

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

Mike Smith wrote: : Question is - What is the cheapest aircraft kit with the biggest engines : (podded, not mounted in the wing itself) in the 1:144-1:72 range? : In 1/144, I don't think there is any question - the Revell (Germany) A-380 kit. Least expensive? Perhaps not.

In 1/100 or so, you have some old Entex/Doyosha(?) 747 kits. Not sure of the size of the 747 fan as opposed to the one of the A-380, nor how good the detail would be for the fan itself.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

Many thanks for that - I'll have a chat with the local emporiums to see who can supply

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith