OT: F-15 Mishap Animation Videos

USAF has released some animation and video of the F-15 breakup that happened over Missouri last fall...got to watch the raw today with one of our pilots, but found them on the web, too...

First one: animated sequence of the breakup:

...I think the noticeable buildup of lateral vibration under load in teh turn preceding the breakup is sort of interesting. I'd like to know what the control inputs and beta-q looked like...

Second one: composite playback of the engagement which resulted in the mishap event, mishap aircraft is offensive - this is the sort of thing you'd see in a training Range Control room...they blanked some of the audio and cut some of the HUD camera footage, but you can get the gist:

Despite some of the below YouTube commentary about an "immediate ejection", I'm told by aircrew that wasn't what happened. The mishap crewman (call sign "Mick 2") broke his left arm as the fuselage separated and so had trouble pulling the handle, hence the repeated "eject-eject" calls from 1.

Mick 2's pilot suffered severe injuries both from having to eject in excess of 400 knots, and being under load and out of position at time of ejection. But he lived.

Reply to
Rufus

Really, I wonder what ( or who ) would have directed you there ?

Jeez.

Chris

Reply to
CCBlack