OT: Pre WWII Helmet Question

I have what I believe is my grandfather's Army helmet and I'm trying to determine its age, WWI or later?

Inside the rim in the back MLS 53 is stamped into the metal

On the front of the helmet is a roundel with thin black ring on the outside, followed by white and then a red center about the size of a nickel. The white is more cream color now but I'm assuming that is due to age.

Did the US Army have such a marking on their helmets?

thx for any help you guys might have -

Craig

Reply to
Craig