OT: Ships - what's the difference...

...between a DD and a DDG in the US Navy? I thought the "G" stood for guided missile, but Spruance class DDs seem to have as many of those as Arleigh Burke class DDGs. So why the different designation?

Reply to
Joe Jefferson

Joe;

I may be wrong, but I believe the DDG has the capability to protect an area with missiles ( as in a Task Group) while a DD is listed as such if it only has point defence or self defence missiles (self defence only).

Paul O'Reilly

Reply to
Paul O'Reilly