OT: Wisdom teeth removal for older modellers

So I'm 50 years old and had four wisdom teeth (two impacted) and an adjacent molar removed last Tuesday. I read of various recovery times; anywhere from three days to several weeks. Mine is certainly not the three-day variety, and am wondering how long a recovery time I can expect. The work was done by a surgeon under general anaesthesia. It's been five days; the pain isn't horrible but there are periods of time when it hurts pretty good (say 5 to 6 on a scale of 10), then there are times when it's simply a bit uncomfortable.

So, I'd just like to know when I can feel alive again. And feel like modelling some more.

-- david

Reply to
David Young

Wow, that sucks. When I had mine done in my 40s, I didn't even use the pain pills they prescribed. No pain afterwards at all. Hmm, in fact, I think I still have those pills. I wonder if they still work (only 10 or

12 years old).
Reply to
the Legend of LAX

Althought completely off topic I had mine done in 1974 when I was 26 years old - two before and two after REFORGER 74.

It took me about 36 hours to recover, but the worst part was the open holes that took several months to close up as you have to take care keeping the crud out of them or you can get both horrendous bad breath and an infection.

DO NOT use a straw for about a week -- my wife did and it reopened all of the wounds, causing to look like a victim in a cheap war movie with blood tricking down her cheek!

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

...they stitched mine closed...single stitch in each socket. About a week later I went and had the stitches removed...got home and was brushing my teeth and noticed the missed one. Being an enterprising young modeler with an mostly steady hand, I figured I'd just get a pair of tweezers and pull the thread out myself...thinking it was just a stray they'd missed...

...I think I recall hearing a "pop" as I yanked a little harder than I thought I should have had to - turned out upon closer examination that they hadn't actually cut the stitch for extraction...

Ahh...youth...

Reply to
Rufus

if they're real opiates, they should be fine. depends on the binder, too.

Reply to
someone

it was just a few days for me. then back to have the stitches taken out. I was given 3-4 Vicoden, but just took 2 of them. I got the teeth back in a nice little plastic box. Pull them out every now and then to bug the kids.

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

i had a molar with a huge filling. i was going to get a crown but the darn thing cracked in half. right down to the root. so i had to get it pulled. they put the 2 halves in a see through plastic sterile baggy for me to keep. i thumb tacked it to the wall of my record collection with a "free dna" label. some people think it's really great, others are appalled. guess which group i always like? the others are the ones afraid of my luftwaffe propellar fan. some people are afraid of everything!

Reply to
someone

I was 20 when I surrendered four of mine. Only one was impacted, but I figured what the hell. Recovery was about a week over Christmas break from college. They left the stitches in for a few weeks and during that time I was supposed to try and keep food out of the recesses caused by the stitches. Weeks later when they cut the stitches loose, decayed food stuff spilled out of those little pockets. Absolutely foul smelling and looked a lot like chewing tobacco. Gaaaaah-rossssssssssss

I guess I was bright eyed and bushy tailed in about three weeks tops.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

I had the same work done many many years ago, and it took around two weeks for the pain to go away.

But then I also had a ladder take the whole top of my lower jaw off years ago also. Still hurt from that... (arthritis)

Reply to
AM

I had all 4 of mine done when I was around 30. Surgically removed, not pulled. They had given me on-again, off-again trouble for about 10 years prior. I was knocked out for the day. I was given Percoset(?) & maybe took a couple for a day or so. The doc had to really bust them to get them out (he told my now ex-wife that I had 'substantial wisdom teeth'). The majority of discomfort I had was my jaws being sore, maybe a couple of days on the sockets unless I ate something wrong. I don't remember much about it, so I figure I was up & running 100% in a week or less. Beware the Tooth Fairy, tho. It's been nearly 20 years & the bitch has picked these up YET!

On Mar 29, 6:46=A0am, AM wrote:

Reply to
frank

I had an AF dentist take one out over 30 years ago. He said I needed the other 3 out. A few hours after surgery I felt like a sledge hammer hit when the anasthesia wore off. They did this, take aspirin. I looked like a chipmunk for a few weeks. Other three are still in and doing fine. Few days pain was something like bearable.

Reply to
frank

I survived the ordeal. The procedure went perfectly; recovery not as well as I'd hoped but still more than acceptable. I'm not back to modelling...

Thanks to all for your anecdotes.

-- david

Reply to
David Young

Ooops. That's "I'm now back to modelling". Clearly, I haven't quite

*fully* recovered.

dey

Reply to
David Young

...that must have been the red tube talking...er...typing...

Reply to
Rufus

Spray some enamel without adequate ventilation, or get a bit too close to the liquid glue, it'll come backto you in no time. Then there's the dope for balsa modeling that will really knock you for a loop.

Reply to
frank

I always found the old (fifties formula) Floquil far stronger and loopier than dope (either nitrate or butyrate, though the butyrate was stronger than the nitrate). Neither dope really bothered me that much, but I'd have to limit my Floquil sessions to a half hour at a time.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

...well...yeah...but that never stopped it from being standard practice.

Reply to
Rufus

...I've never sprayed dope...that I can remember...but I sure do recall Floquil paints being far more pungent than Testors enamels. Testors enamels have never bothered me in over 40 years of using them.

The Metallizers are bit strong, but I assume that's because they are lacquers. I've never particularly cared for using lacquers, but in the case of Metallizers I have to make an exception.

Reply to
Rufus