P-40N

I tried to post this the other day with no luck.

I'm doing a 1/72 P-40N. Any observations on which kit s better, Hasegawa or Academy?

Looking for the following after-market details.

Details from Eduard Zoom, Part and Red Roo.

Eduard Express Mask.

Part etched metal canopy frame.

Anyone with any/all of these that they wouldn't mind parting with please drop me a line.

TIA,

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

what 1/48 scale p-40 was around in the 60's, tom? i built one that had, (big surprise!)a shark nose and even the eye. don't remember much detail on it, but it was big and shot down the 109's over the japanese ships at pearl harbor. my history when i was 7 was variable to fit the models. like the battle of wurzburg where the einglish shot down the

17's ah, the memories!.
Reply to
someone

Monogram had a 1/48 P-40B kit out back then. It came with the shark's mouth decals. I'm pretty sure I have a pic of the box lid.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

really basic kit, no real cockpit details, zit farm, and foggy canopy?

Reply to
someone

willshak

They also had a 1/72 P-40N.

Aurora had four P-40s in 1/48 scale... including the odd rocket-armed version:

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

I don't know about all of them in the pic, but the second one isn't 1/48, it's 1/27 or 1/28 & is the big screwdriver assembly one.

Reply to
frank

rewinding the tape back 40 years, it was the aurora. cheesy box art and about 12 parts.

Reply to
someone

on 7/13/2007 3:57 PM frank said the following:

The other three are 1/4" scale (1/4" = 1 foot)

Reply to
willshak

You got me, that's the giant one. It looks like that particular Aleutian Tiger has gotten pretty chewed up by the Japanese. I had a Fokker D-VII and B-25 from that series. Detail sucked, but the Fokker was so big and tough you could actually glide it around and land it without breaking it. They were more assemble-it-yourself toys than models.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

As I understand it, all of the "Screwdriver" kits were actually Aurora's old gas powered CL models & they modified the molds into "models". That's why your Fokker would really glide & was tough. I also later noticed on the box that it states it's 1/27 scale & all the others are 1/48 kits.

Reply to
frank

The Monogram "1/72" P-40N was pretty far off of scale. It's available again in a double kit with their P-51B from Accurate Miniatures. They also have two of the '30's biplanes from Monogram in a double kit.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72