Panel Line Help

Okay,

I've got two problems.

First, there is a small piece of plastic on the side of my fuselage that looks as though the machine that made the part dripped a thin line of plastic onto the surface. Just imagine lifting up a spoonful of honey, moving it somewhere, and a thin line of honey making a trail across the side of the jar. The same thing on the fuselage.

Second, I started to rescribe panel lines, for the very first time, and I've gone outside the line. Creating a wonky line that I definitely do not want filled when I apply the wash.

Suggestions on how to fix these?

Thanks in advance.

Nobbody

Reply to
nobbody

in article snipped-for-privacy@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com at snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote on 5/5/07 9:57 AM:

Re the first problem, can't you simply sand the excess plastic down and rescribe as necessary?

Re the second problem, when I goof scribing a line, I fill it with gap-filling CA, sand the area down, and try again. The CA works better than putty for this because it dries at least as hard as the plastic and can therefore be scribed without cracking or flaking. Also, if you're having trouble scribing accurately, I recommend you try a saw as your scribing tool, especially for lines that go around the fuselage (not so good for long, straight lines). You can buy a set of photo-etched mini-saws (presently distributed by Techstar), which are available from Squadron:

Another way to make a very handy scribing saw (as was described to me by Bill Koster), is to take a fine-bladed razor saw and file down the sides of the teeth.

One other thing I'd recommend is to use Dymo plastic label material for a straight-edge when you're doing long, straight lines. It'll stay where you put it, and it's hard/thick enough to keep your scriber in the right place (usually).

Hope any of this helps. Pip Moss

Reply to
Pip Moss

some very good stuff....and just to add to that, when scribing/rescribing, make sure to let your tool do the work. Do not apply too much force. You'll also find that you make fewer mistakes; you want to concentrate on control, not speed of work. And if you do go outside where you want it to be, the damage will be minimal.

Patience, as with everything we do in this hobby, pays off big time.

--Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

--snip-- > Second, I started to rescribe panel lines, for the very first time,

Perhaps my article on the IPMS/Stockholm website will help:

Charles Metz

Reply to
Charles Metz