Panel line shading and priming

Greetings. I'm about to make my first excursion into mild weathering by trying panel line shading. I use ModelMaster Acryl. Two questions:

  1. I normally prime the aircraft with a coat of light grey. I assume panel shading should occur *after* priming (?)

  1. Do I even need to prime? There doesn't seem to be a consensus on this topic. I've watched good modelers give video demonstrations of techniques, and there was no priming coat.

Thanks very much.

Reply to
David E. Young

As far as priming goes, you're right about that there's no consensus...however:

*Acrylic paints seem to stick better to a primer. Because of the chemicals in enamels and laquers, a primer is not always needed there. *Some think that a primer coat can obscure details, which is certainly true. It's really up to you, what you like better, how you like the end product. It's your model, so experiment on a few, and go with what you like.
Reply to
Matt Kurjanowicz