Shading Panel Lines--Question on Technique

All,

I have almost completed a 1/24 Spitfire, and I am going to try (for the first time) shading panel lines using some pastel chalk + water + a bit of liquid detergent. The wash will be going on over Tamiya acrylics and an acrylic gloss coat. My plan was to apply the wash, let it sit overnight, and then clean off the excess with a damp Q-Tip. Is this too long to wait, or do I need to clean off the excess immediately?

Any tips or advice on the chalk technique would be appreciated.

Regards,

Dingo