weathering technique

Using an airbrush to weather lines,streaks etc can be done, but if you screw up,it's often hard to fix.What Kim is talking about is called Preshading-and it works, but I'm using another trick that I picked up from a friend. With the aircraft gloss coated,mix Future Floor wax with a few drops of acrylic paint. I use burnt umber. You can use any color,but don't use black, 'cause black's too black. Make it a thin mix. Apply it with a small brush to the panel lines.If it looks too dark or heavy, thin your mix. If you put too much on, simply blot it back off with a q-tip or the corner of a paper towel. This technique is very forgiving! When you're happy with the look of it, just let it dry-then flatcoat. It also works great on landing gear struts. Remember, don't slop it on. Use your small brush to pinpoint the recesses you want to shade. After it's flat coated, if you want to add exaust streaks, use pastel chalks. They are cheap, come in a ton of colors and (the best part) are forgiving.Rub the stick on sandpaper until you have some chalk dust.Apply the dust with a small brush. If you put too much on, most of it will wipe back off. You'll have to add another light flatcoat to seal it though. Now, if you're looking for that really faded, dusty look, take your airbrush and load it with your base color. Add a few drops of white. VERY LIGHTLY spray the center of a given panel,between the lines. It should be a VERY subtle effect and only done to the top side of the aircraft.Try it on an old model first. 'Hope this helps. Dave

Reply to
Dave Pepper