weathering technique

Using an airbrush to weather lines,streaks etc can be done, but if you
screw up,it's often hard to fix.What Kim is talking about is called
Preshading-and it works, but I'm using another trick that I picked up
from a friend. With the aircraft gloss coated,mix Future Floor wax
with a few drops of acrylic paint. I use burnt umber. You can use any
color,but don't use black, 'cause black's too black. Make it a thin
mix. Apply it with a small brush to the panel lines.If it looks too
dark or heavy, thin your mix. If you put too much on, simply blot it
back off with a q-tip or the corner of a paper towel. This technique
is very forgiving! When you're happy with the look of it, just let it
dry-then flatcoat. It also works great on landing gear struts.
Remember, don't slop it on. Use your small brush to pinpoint the
recesses you want to shade. After it's flat coated, if you want to add
exaust streaks, use pastel chalks. They are cheap, come in a ton of
colors and (the best part) are forgiving.Rub the stick on sandpaper
until you have some chalk dust.Apply the dust with a small brush. If
you put too much on, most of it will wipe back off. You'll have to add
another light flatcoat to seal it though. Now, if you're looking for
that really faded, dusty look, take your airbrush and load it with
your base color. Add a few drops of white. VERY LIGHTLY spray the
center of a given panel,between the lines. It should be a VERY subtle
effect and only done to the top side of the aircraft.Try it on an old
model first. 'Hope this helps. Dave
Reply to
Dave Pepper