SQL to PLC to diverer gate, can this be done?

First, I know nothing about PLC's, but I was wondering is there a way to extract data from a SQL database file, feed that to a PLC is some manner, and then have the PLC trigger a diverter gate based on the value in the table exceeding a certain value, to divert parts to another location.

Am I off base, or is there something out there that will allow or help me to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Razorbak71

Very common to do. GE Fanuc CIMplicity HMI and other SCADA packages will do this. They often use in automotive plants and many other places to track and control production operations based on all kinds of things. These SW packages set on a PC and talk to both the SQL and PLC(s) and other factory equipment. Also used for like warehouse and distribution order and inventory staging and tracking systems.

Reply to
mindspringnews

For a small system, this might due you.

mindspringnews

If you don't want the clutter of a full-blown SCADA package, you can use OPC to do this this.

Have a talk to the friendly guys at

Basically, you install an OPC Server for your model PLC on a PC someplace (it can be the Database PC but, using DOPC, it doesn't have to be). You set up a connection to the database - another OPC Server - and use OPC Explorer (or your own scripts) to connect the two however you like.

Hope this helps.

Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

A Software like SQLProcess

can do this, it retreive and store data from a SQL Database and send and receive on PLC's using OPC. This is a french software, beeing translated on early 2004.

You can check the site in english thru google translation:

Yann

Here is a software package that allows you to connect whatever you want (database, marquees, PLC, pagers, e-mail, serial devices...)

Joe B ky