Query: Cut-away submarine kits.

ISTR a cut-away "Patrick Henry" SSBN from my youth, but I think someone mentioned a U-boat on a thread a while back. Anyone care to refresh my memory, or add some others to the list? The subject came up in conversation a couple of days ago, and my recall was inadequate.

Regards,

Reply to
Moramarth

Renwal and Revell did a set of cutaway polaris boats back in the late 50s early 60s time frame. Revell initially had 8 missile tubes and some other inaccuracies in accordance with goverment security issues. Renwal had the right size for the reactor room and 16 tubes - both were secret - it caused a flap at the time - and Revell had to rework theirs once the inaccuracies were known . I believe Revell more recently did a U-Boat with cutaway..

Val Kraut "

Reply to
Val Kraut

Revell did cutaway versions of a type VII and type XXI uboat.

Reply to
Ron

Renwal and Revell both had nuclear subs w/ interiors. Renwals was in various versions (all the same kit); this was recently re-issued by Revell, who also re-issued their own kit about ten years ago. The Renwal kit was bigger and more detailed. As for accuracy...??? (Revell got all of Renwals tooling when Renwal went left the business). As for u-boats, Revell had two, one sort of lame and another very nice kit of a later version (Type XXI?).

-John

Reply to
Pacific95

Here are 2 links to 2 Revell (Deutschland) models:

Here's the price list page (w/ other Ger. U-boote):

MGFoster

anyone know if anyone ever did a "best guess" cutaway of the TV Seaview?

Craig

Reply to
Craig

David Merriman did an extremely detailed model with the interior of the nose compartment modeled. Otherwise, no, there are no cutaways per se of that kit. You could probably have some fun doing one with the current Polar Lights kit and some Plastruct parts. Tom Dougherty ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com)

Reply to
Ives100

You probably wouldn't be able to get much detail unless you built it with a microscope. The Aurora/PL model is pretty small, and -- much like the TARDIS in Dr. WHO -- the interiors were often quite a bit larger than what would have been on a real sub.

Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall

is there a police box model? i built a tardis in the 70's but it was tiny and just ate books.

Reply to
uff