Sorta OT- ID an ammo case?

Ok, I've been searching the web for an hour now but I can't find a picture that answers my question. Yesterday I was in a thrift store and of all things, I found 4 large ammo cases. Each case is about 4 feet long, round, but has square panels welded on both ends and in the middle so it won't roll around. The end opens up by flipping a lever, and then twisting the lid to the "unlock" slots. When you pop open the lid, you can see that the inside has a foam rubber padding on the upper half, while the lower half tapers to a point. On the outside, I don't recall what all of the text said, but I did notice 120mm stamped on it. Are these tank round storage cases, or arty, or what? Are they tough to find?

Jp

Reply to
Jp

"Jp" wrote

That could be a tank round, or a 120mm mortar shells.

The stenciling is what's important, as it will say exactly what was inside. . . The container designator should be stamped into the metal.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

It sounds like a 120mm storage tube for Abrams. If it is, the tubes can interlock next to one another. They usually come palletized in 10 X 10 tube configuration. Like a giant honeycomb.

Rob Gronovius Modern US armor at

Rob Gronovius

That sounds like the thing I saw. The square panels on the end would allow a geometric pattern when they are stacked. I must say, the "flip-top cap" on the end was a BITCH to open. I really wanted to buy one, but I kept thinking, what am I going to do with it??? They were $25 a piece, BTW.

Jp

Reply to
Jp