Re: 1:48 B-2 bomber?!

snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Mark McGuire) wrote in :

Now that I have your attention. I really want to build a quarter scale >b2, but i need plans. I have read about someone using adobe illustrator >to scan in images and get scale plans, but this is beyond me. Does >anyone have access to/ or ideas where to get GOOD scale plans (cutaways, >dimensions, etc.) I would be eternally grateful.

I don't expect you'll find any. The Pentagon won't be too keen on publishing that sort of detail...

Quarter scale? Are you saying you want a 1:4 B-2? 5 m long, 12 m wide?

Reply to
Harro de Jong

snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Mark McGuire) wrote in :

I doubt it'll get better than this...

Reply to
Harro de Jong

Yes, I want it to go with my 1:48 B-1b, B-58, B-52, F-111e, etc. I completely respect those that build in those tiny scales, and while I don't mean to be rude, why not?

Mark

P.S. thanks for the ACC/boeing site, I really crave cutaways though.

Reply to
Mark McGuire

Note that Harro asked if you wanted to build in 1:4 scale, not 1:48.

Quarter scale is ambiguous. It's jargonese for 1/4" = 1 foot scale (or

1:48) but it also can mean 1/4 full size. As Harro points out this would be a very big B-2. 5 meters (or about 16 feet) long and 12 meters (or about 39 feet in wingspan.
Reply to
Rick DeNatale

Mark,

I suggest you check with Traplett publishing out the UK. A fellow by the name Chris Golds of has built a rather large electric powered RC model of the B-2 THat would definitely give you cross sections since the part outlines are on the plans to permit you to cut the wood.

Good luck,

Chris

Mark McGuire wrote:

Reply to
Chris Spierings

a quarter scal b2 could carry a pilot.

snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Mark McGuire) wrote in :

Rick's post clarified it. I thought you were talking about 1:4 rather than

1:48, which yould get you a model that wouldn't fit in most houses. That surprised me a bit. A 1:48 B-2 would be very nice.
Reply to
Harro de Jong

Thanks, Chris, I'll give them a try.

Reply to
Mark McGuire

Yeah sorry, didn't actually look at the dimensions he gave, especially since as you say quarter scale is a generically used term and the header specifically said 1:48 B-2 :)

Reply to
Mark McGuire

I agree. I would love to build a 1/48 B-2. Mark, did you phone or did you use an email. I'd also like to get a set of plans from them.

bye Rui Rebelo

Reply to
Rui Rebelo

Thanks. It's not that surprising is it? The USAF doesn't want to have their best plane's data in the wrong hands. I've recently bought the first volumes of Internacional Air Power Review and they sent a small booklet covering the B-2 and it has some very interesting photos. Like a photo of the front cockpit displays.

bye Rebelo

Reply to
Rui Rebelo

if you have a 1/48th scale B-52 it must be a vac kit

Reply to
RLGIRSCH

Yea, why not build a 1/48 scale B-2? Could it be possible that some model company could try?

William

RLGIRSCH wrote:

Reply to
William L. Powell

Maybe not, at least in spirit. When Monogram reissued the 52 in the "Big, Bad & Beautiful" series they mistakenly listed the kit as 1/48 scale on the box in at least one place. I collect 1/48th so I about vapor locked when I saw that thinking I had struck gold on a new mold. Imagine the people that bought it and never realizes that it was really a

1/72nd kit. Think of the arguments they'll have on RMS 10-20 years from now. ;-)

WmB

WmB

I remember back in the early '70s when I started buying Scale Modeler there was mention of 'new kits' one year. A 1/48 B-52 from Monogram was rumored, (as was a 1/32 T-33 from Hasegawa. I'm still waiting on the T-33.) I had just built their 1/72 B-52, so that sounded cool. The 1/48 bomber that was released? The B-17. And I still say 1/4 or 1:4 scale is just that. One-fourth scale. 1/48 scale would be 1/4" or 1/4 inch scale. Without the 'inch' indication, 1/4 & 1:4 are MUCH larger. Same as calling 1/72 '1/6 scale' instead of 1/6" or 1/6 inch scale when 1/6 scale is like 12" tall GIJoe! Saying otherwise is just like justifying grammar & spelling mistakes/misuses of today.

Reply to
famvburg

if they knew they could recoup those large tool and die fees,they might,.they should have an advanced ordered(payed)up front then go for it or return payments to potential buyers ,why risk something they arent sure abou ,maybe lou from collect-aire is reading this and thinking ,maybe so ,maybe no,someone ????????

Reply to
RLGIRSCH