Re: CAF Heinkel destroyed

All the later Spanish ones had Merlins, but they also built a series with Jumo 211s, getting surplus examples from France.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

It was a B-29. "Kee Bird."

Here's a link:

B-29, Frozen for 50 Years, by Wayland Mayo

Cheers!!!

BobbyG

Reply to
Bobby Galvez

someone stands corrected.

nova lied!

This info was available on a website they had. Do not know if it's still up.

Reply to
Dave Henk

Honda? It was an APU that the plane was equipped with. These were known to have problems including fires.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Henk

Safer on the ground? Perhaps. Do you have statistics? Here's the other side of being "safe" on the ground. Several Railroad Museums suffered major damages to stored equipment. Hurricane Hugo in south Florida destroyed non replaceable collections, structural fires to storage structures destroyed equipment, and most recently the collapse of the roof on the B&O Museum due to snow accumulation a few months ago. You cab shove these planes into a museum where likely far fewer will ever see them or fly them for many thousands of people to enjoy and learn.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Henk

there were no airframes to risk. There is only 1 original 262 in private hands in the world, that one is now owned by Paul Allen for his collection, so the only way to get a flyable 262 was to build a replica.

To give a Idea of how much harder it is to build a replica, I have helped restored a T-6 in 4 yrs,starting with a flyable airframe, but it took 6 yrs and ALOT more man hrs to build a P-64 out of a pile of T-6 parts. Matt Gunsch, A&P,IA,Private Pilot Riding member of the Arizona Precision Motorcycle Drill Team GWRRA,NRA,GOA

Reply to
N329DF

yes, i know.

Yeah it was standard equipment that crew during WWII knew to watch during run up as it had a habit of catching fire. These guys didn't watch it and that happened.

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

There have been museums that have burnt down, destroying aircraft. I do not have any statistics but all you have to do is pay attention; these old planes are being busted up one by one. It's a crying shame.

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

Does anybody have the dope on this?

IIRC the "recovery crew" would not have taken the time to rebuild an APU when a modern generator would have done the same job.

Also, why was the fuel can hung in such a stupid manner?

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

turned out; I

Here'a website about the "Lost Squadron."

Museum Front Page - The Lost Squadron On-Line Museum

And a link to their photo gallery on "Glacier Girl."

Cheers!!!

BobbyG

Reply to
Bobby Galvez

Make that da bode ov us.

The Old Timer

next time i'll watch the whole history channel show. thye make so many stupid mistakes its hard to take.

The loss is of two human lives that had family and friends. The CASA/Heinkel was a historic aircraft yes but ultimately a collection of metallic forgings and sheet metal. I'm sure any one of us here has had a loved one total a car but walk away. How often do we say: "It's only a car, it can be replaced.Thank goodness you are safe."

There will be other warbird accidents just as there are auto accidents and antique cars get smashed up. No machinery lasts forever, even museum pieces; museums fold up ( Florence SC), the building collapses ( the B&O Museum) even artifacts are no longer considered "relevant" and are disposed of(some of the early Apollo and space hardware comes to mind).

We won't know the true nature of the accident until it is investigated. Flying these types of aircraft has been and always will be a dangerous occupation. In WW2 more flyers were killed in operational accidents than due to combat. Why should flying WW2 aircraft in the 21st century be any different? Perhaps due to age, fatigue and pilot reaction time( few warbird operators are in their early 20's)maybe it is even more dangerous?

Just my thoughts, Gene

Reply to
Gene DiGennaro

Ok, I may get people pisset at me but this is a sore point with me. If you don't like what an owner of something is doing with his property, buy it yourself. I feel strongly about property rights of owners, wether it is real estate or whatever. russ

Reply to
Russ Osborne

IF these aircraft were not flown, there would be less of them around than there is now. Back after WWII, they were just so many pots and pans and razor blades. If it was not for the owners and collectors, they would be gone, and very few museums around with ANY warbirds in them, and they are not flown by the " elite " few, any member with the qualifications to fly them, can, after passing flight tests. The members of the CAF are not the owners, just the operators of the planes, and it is not the elite crewing them either. I have flown on many WWII planes and have worked on alot more than that. All any of you have to do, to do the same thing, is get off your butt and go volunter to work on them. Matt Gunsch, A&P,IA,Private Pilot Riding member of the Arizona Precision Motorcycle Drill Team GWRRA,NRA,GOA

Reply to
N329DF

Thanks but I think I got the point. I don't know how many thousands might see a flying warbird but i know there will be thousands who will not see the ones that have gone up in fireballs because some pilot has over-"G" d the airframe or his ability and augered it in.

I could go on about pilot skill and attitude but I won't belabor this anymore. You think they shoulld fly....I think they shouldn't. What I say isn't going to change your mind and what you say isn't going to change mine. Let's just leave it at that and go on to some other subject.

Cheers.....Bill

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat"

Reply to
Bill Woodier

vintage bike collectors save necks with id stamps....