Re: (Rant) Sabre air brakes

I've lost count over the years of how many Sabre models I've seen

> where the airbrakes extend straight out from the sides of the model > rather than droping the way they should. Many were built by modelers > who should know better, yet evidence from every photo and reference > work has been ignored. > > I can't remember whether the old Monogram or Esci kit instructions > mentioned the necessity to cut the lower brace to properly portray the > sit of the airbrakes, but the Academy sabres and Revellogram F-86D > kits do mention it (although I think that neither shows enough droop). > The -D kits are even moulded for open airbrakes, and a bit has to be > cut off if they're to be glued shut. I can't speak for the new > Hasegawa 1/48 kit, but the old 1/32 kit doesn't mention it. Neither > the Hobbycraft nor the Fujimi 1/72 kits show it either. > > What is it about Sabre airbrakes that's so difficult to get? > > -- > Jeff C > RLHD

Just went to my shelves and looked.... the Fujimi kit's brakes droop.... at least on the ones I've completed. Not sure about Hobby Craft, as they're all still in the box. And the brakes droop on my Hasegawa D's, too. (Been several years, though. I don't remember if they needed to be clipped or not.)

Don H.

Reply to
Don Harstad

Okay, I just dug out the Fujimi instructions and there's a small diagram showing the droop. It's not well placed and not much attention is called to it but it's there. Cancel Fujimi's place in my rant. The Hobbycraft (first issue) instructions mention nothing.

Reply to
Jeff C

I saw an F-86F in 72nd scale where the modeler had glued the canopy open... clamshell style. You're very right, a little attention to the photos would be a big help!

Don H.

Reply to
Don Harstad

Brakes droop. And it's in the instructions.

Reply to
Serge D. Grun