Recommend books on B-36, F-4 ??

saw a pic of the B-36 in a 1990's Combat Aviation book by Popular Mechanics. with the outer wings removed and all engine panels up with mechanics working on it. nice pic. Looking for more.

Looking for something that has pics and not too deep of text for starters for the B-36 and F4. Would the Squadron series be the way to start? don't want to break the bank on this little venture...

thx - Craig

Reply to
crw59

The Squadron B-36 book is okay, but you can find easily as much photo and design info on the web as in the book:

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Or check out the movie "Strategic Air Command" with Jimmy Stewart, which is chock-full of amazing B-36 footage.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Highly Recommended is "Magnesium Overcast - The Story Of The Convair B-36" by Dennis Jenkins. There is a companion Photobook but I do not know the title.

Jack G.

Reply to
Jack G

Some of the best B-36 video from that movie is on You Tube. Just do a search for B-36 on You Tube to find it. There are several other good B-36 videos there that I'd never seen before too. As far as F-4 stuff what are you (the OP) looking for exactly? There are a ton of F-4 Phantom books out there, each with its own features to recommend it. Are you looking for photos? A history? A walk-around? War stories? Modeling guide? USAF? Navy? Foreign? Scott Wilson

Reply to
avnav526

well dang it. The F-4 is the first airplane I remember growing up with in the 60's so howabaout photos, brief history, walkaround, USAF and Navy.

does that help ?

Craig

Reply to
crw59

Their's a brief appearance of a B-36 with its gun turrets extended in the Howard Hughes movie "Jet Pilot" when they are practicing a night intercept.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

For walkarounds, I definitely recommend the Lock-On series. They did one on the F-4E and one on the British Phantoms which include the FG.1, FGR.2 and F-4J(UK). Squadron just did a Walkaround on the F-4E but I don't have it yet so I don't know how good or accurate it is. The older Detail & Scale books were okay, but suffered from too many black and white photos (not particularly good for modelers trying to use the right colors in their models) and quite a few errors in the text and photo captions. For photo books, there are a number of good ones. The Detail & Scale Colors & Markings series has several good F-4 books wit plenty of good photos. You could also join our F-4Discussion group on Google, we have several people (myself included) who frequently post some darned nice photography. Scott Wilson

Reply to
avnav526