Reconnaissance Units and Equipment

Thinking ahead to the next annual AMPS I was wondering which World War Two armies dedicated light tanks and to Recon units? I realize half tracks and armored cars were widely used in these roles. In the case of the Germans didn't they simpy use captured or obsolete tanks until supplies gave out? I realize the British used the Stuart in this role in the desert. Did they use this in Italy. Did the British have a seperate recon tank after D-Day in Northwestern Europe? As far as the Soviets it seems they were not happy with some of their light recon tanks. The USA recon tanks seemed to do the job of probing the front as they were not made to slug it out. In that sense the Italian and Japanese recon elements were adequate for probing infrantry. They remain, however, obscure in most modeling circles.

What is for sale out there is resin such as obscure Italian, Japanese, or Soviet armor regarding types used for reconnaissance?

Sincerely,

Big Al AMPS, Baltimore IPMS

Reply to
AlbertCherer

Big Al,

Nearly all of them did.

US - M3, M5 series light tanks Commonwealth - M3, M5, Light Mk. VI, VII, VIII USSR - T-37, T-38, T-30/40, T-60, T-70, T-80 Germany - Pzkw. I, Pzkw. II, Pzkw. 38 and variants "Client" states (e.g France, Poland, Czechoslovakia) - as their benefactors (e.g. Polish units in the West used UK equipment and TO&E sets, those in the East, Soviet equipment and TO&E sets)

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

didn't the brits use bren carriers for recon? thought i read something about that.