1/35 Bangalore Torpedos?

after watching Pvt Ryan for the millionth time I realized that no one, well at least Tamiya and Dragon, have never made this accessory....

for specs I found that the M1A1 version consisted of 10 five foot sections.

anyone know if that was the same for WWII or have they never changed.

I figure a few pieces of round plastic, painted OD should do the trick. have not found pics yet of what the ends look like for connecting the tubes....

Crai

Reply to
who me?

in article snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, who me? at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 1/3/04 21:24:

I think that one of the WW2 British types was made from 3 inch pipe in

Reply to
Rory Manton

"who me?" wrote

The sections were 60 inches long and 2-1/8 inches in diameter. The ends have a slight taper toward with a rim at the end face (similar to the top of a pop or beer can). The end was a 3-3/4 inches long bullet nose, 2.2 inches OD. The connecting sleeve was 5 inches long and also 2.2 inches OD. The nose and sleeve both had a little tab that was bent in so that it would snap over the section end and behind the rim.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

uh oh. math time. so what size of plastic, or metal tube would I get that would be 2-1/8 inches in diameter in 1/35 scale?

Craig

Reply to
Craig

I make it about 0.060714 inches in diameter, so tubing will have to be pretty small.

Reply to
Jim Atkins

what's the name of that company that makes brass tubing and sheets you see at well stocked hobby stores?

Craig

Reply to
Craig

"Craig" wrote

K&S. Also at many hardware stores (vice home centers).

1/16 tubing or rod is .0625 if true to size - close enough (It would be 2-3/16 full size rather than 2-1/8). Each section would be 1.71 long, BTW.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

As a follow on to this thread; does anyone know the history of this weapon? I know they originated in W.W.I, but how did the name of a city in India get connected with a device to blow barbed wire entanglements on the Western Front??

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

William H. Shuey wrote

FirstWorldWar.com says -

"Dating back to British use in India - hence the name - and designed by Captain McClintock (of the British Army Bengal, Bombay and Madras Sappers and Miners) in 1912, so-called Bangalore Torpedoes were used as a means of exploding booby traps and barricades left over from the Boer and Russo-Japanese Wars."

I'd always been under the impression that the Japanese had used them to blow up Russian defence during the Russo-Japanese wars, but maybe they actually used some kind of satchel charge thing instead.

Reply to
Rik Shepherd

I think one of the methods, other than the Bangalore, was to pu tthe satchel charge on the end of a long pole witha hook on the end, then throw or place it with the pole. At least you did not have to get too close!!

Lance

Lance Mertz Ketchikan, Alaska Toujours Prete

Nospam in email address to respond.

Reply to
Lance Mertz