B-57 vs. B-47

While at the local pub I became in engaged in a discussion about early jet aircraft used in the Vietnam 'Police Action'. My 'learned friend' insisted that B-47s were used in the beginning of the conflict to which I countered that he was misinformed, and that he had mistaken B-57 for 47s to which he said that although the 57 was used so was the 47 but in a 'lower profile' than the B-57. My question to the group is: Was the B-47 ever flown in combat over Vietnam? Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

I may be mis-remembering, but I thought ERB/WRB-47s were used for a while. As for bomb dropping or other more overt stuff, I don't think so.

Reply to
steve gallacci

i've heard that there were some unmarked ones dropping bombs for air america. the guy that told me was in saigon 60-64 and loved 'nam pot.

I believe Steve's right on that. I don't have any reference to hand but that's what I recall.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

According to Francillon, in "Vietnam: The War in the Air," the RB-47Hs briefly served in two roles. They were used in recon drone co-operation sorties (which appaarently involved getting the NV SAM sites to light up the drones so that the RB-47 crew could record radio signatures) and in other sigint duties. In all cases, they operated well out of the range of NV AA or fighters. The two photos in the book are NMF-finished birds. Their unit was the 55th SRW.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

there is an RB-47 at warner robbins, ga., complete with all forms of antenna. check with fred horky.

Reply to
KONDA24