Re: Nats Turn Out (long reply)

Maybe what I'm about to say has already been covered; if so, my apologies. I

>got in on this thread kinda late. > >I also went to the OKC Convention, and combined the trip with a vist to some >friends in nearby Midwest City. I had a blast: baseball game on the 3rd, >motorcycle ride on the 4th, trip to Tulsa on the 5th for a motocross, and >sightseeing on the 6th, including the 45th Amd' Div' museum in North OKC. The >weather was great too. > >I also enjoyed the convention; lots of cool models and an enjoyable vendor >room >(where I found some bargains to fly home with.) Everyone was helpful and >friendly (as always in Oklahoma.) > >What bothers me is the attitude and comments of one previous poster; ("what >the >hell is there to do there besides roast in the sun watching the cows shit?") >(I >don't know where this jerk is from, so he's deprived me of the pleasure of >bagging on his hometown.) I wonder if he has ever been to Oklahoma, probably >not, as his comments pretty much assure me that he's running on misinformed >stereotypes. I can assure him that Oklahoma City is nothing like he >described. > >I think his comments were totally inappropriate and reflect some very poor >upbringing, not to mention a complete lack of tact. They were not necessary >and >serve only to mark him as a very ignorant individual. I'd rather live in >Oklahoma than many places I've been; the people are always friendly (and >wouldn't think of making a snide comment such as he made about someone else's >home); the air is fresh and clean, far better than more of my birth state of >California, and there is plenty to do in OKC, if one is willing to look. As >the >previous poster mentioned, Bricktown is an awesome place, with something for >everyone. As I mentioned, the 45th Amd' Div' Museum was extremely >interesting, >with many exhibits inside that can't be found anywhere in the world. Tinker >AFB >(world's largest) has a great display of planes at their front gate anyone >can >check out. Plus there is plenty to do that is not model/plane/ship/car/tank >related too - or doesn't this guy have a real life? > >Needless to say, his comments PISSED ME OFF - and I hope when he goes to the >Phoenix Convention in '04, I'll have the pleasure of meeting him face to >face, >so I can tell him what a POS he is. You see, jack, Phoenix is MY home town, >and >I know we have plenty to do here. However, 'Zonies don't take kindly to >people >who bag on their state, unlike the Oklahomans who are too polite and >easygoing >to do so. Yeah, I know all the jokes, about how hot it is and so on. But a >trip >is only what one makes of it: if you go planning on having a poor time, you >probably will. Besides, the convention is indoors. Based on what I know, the >'04 convention is gonna be a doozy and hope everyone will plan on attending. >The Valley of the Sun (greater Phoenix) has the fastest growing city in the >country (Gilbert) and several others in the top 10 of that category, and >there's reasons for that. The only bummer is that the excelent Champlain >Figher >Museum closed its doors this past memorial day, but there's still plenty here >of interest. > >Come on, people; we're a very tightly knit group of people that many regard >as >a bunch of obsessive-compulsive, rivit-counting weirdos. That may be, but we >don't need to add close-minded, bigoted, totally self-centered MORONS to that >description. Oklahoma is a great place, so is Arizona. Let's concentrate more >on the convention(s) and models instead of making smartass remarks about >someone's home. > >Hal Sanguinetti >NHRA Track Announcer's Guild > >

I thought about replying to the snide remarks but anything I said would have been from a biased point of view. I'm glad you said it first because you said better than I could have.

Rusty White '03 Nats Chairman

Reply to
SHIP MDLR