B-47 Pics

Hey Guys,

Does any one have any B-47 pictures they could send me? I want to build a B-47 E next, but I want to add some open flaps, panels, doors etc. I've tried Google and have made a trip to WPAFB to the museum for some hands on pics. Unfortunately, I'm not finding much in the line of detail. The majority of stuff tends to be about the JATO/RATO system.

Any help on this would be great.

Thanks

Zack

Reply to
Zack

There are several very good websites for B-47 information. Just 'Google' it. My dad was a gun plumber on B-47's when he first enlisted. I have two B-47 kits on the shelf in my model room, plus one I need to restore that I built when I was a kid. I also saw a bunch of maintenance manuals for B-47s on e-bay a while back. Depending on how deep you project budget is these would give you a great source for the detail you are looking for. The B-47 was a very clean airplane, I built my first one from the Hasegawa kit a long time ago. The only non stock thing I did was open up the refueling door in hopes of finding a KC-97 to go with it...took many years but now they are available. So, the next one I'll do, will be refueling. My first one was 'glued' and has dried out and is very fragile. It falls apart in your hands. I'll look through my resources and see if I have any good pictures showing the details you are looking for, but given the secrecy of the plane in its day, there weren't many.

Reply to
bluumule

I have a few photos / slides of a B-47E that was leased by the US Navy which were taken in 1975. If you're interested, send me an e-mail and I can scan them for you. Most of the time, at least in the ground photos I've ever seen of the B-47, it was kept pretty much buttoned up. About the only thing you'll ever see open is the crew entry door.

Ed

Reply to
robbelothe

I just thought of something else. Check out the move STRATEGIC AIR COMMAND (released in 1955). It has some great B-47 footage and some "interior" shots as well. The movie is available in VHS -- don't know about DVD. The B-47 cockpit used in the film is now on display at the March Field Air Museum in Riverside, CA (if March is still around.)

Ed

Reply to
robbelothe

Funny...I was going to suggest the same thing...but figured that recommending a "movie" (as opposed to a documentary), was a bit "gonzo". *Wonderful* movie! The opening shots of the B-36's flying over is awe-inspiring. Actually, *all* of the film's B-36 footage (as well as B-47 footage) is awe-inspiring. Just one *big* negative though: the woman playing Stewart's wife...has to be the most *annoying* actress to ever appear in films...lol.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Thanks for the suggestion. I have that movie and had forgot about it until you made the post. When the movie shows the B-47 for the first time in the hanger, it was all buttoned up. Maybe, building the model with the doors open isn't a good idea. I thought it would be something different but without the ref material it may not work out.

I did find a book "B-47 Stratojet Detail and Scale", but it seems to be out of print. I am now on a quest to try and find a copy to check out.

Still on the search

Zack

Reply to
Zack

specialty Press just released a big book on the Starojet. Al Lloyd, the same person who wrote the Detail in Scale book, is the author. If there is anyone around who knows more about the bird and it's operational life, I don't know who it would be. A lot of good details and interior drawing and pictures in the book.

Your post suggested you were looking for it in a library. I would suspect that the new book would have to be a special request order. Some libraries do that when you ask for a specific book. Then they notify you when it comes in so you can go get it.

Not a lot of color associated with the bird, but there are a few with some interesting markings. Could be a very impressive build if you were willing to put the effort into rescribing and doing a good Alclad type paint job.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Filer

June Allyson. When I was a kid I thought she was cute - kind of like the girls that were OK to hang around with us guys on the playground. Now her voice recalls the sound of nails scraping against a chalkboard. She played another aviator's wife in "The McConnell Story".

Same result.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Just out of curiosity, I went to eBay and typed in "B-47 book". I got

73 hits, and after distilling down the chaff, came out with a few magazines and books. Check them out....
Reply to
The Old Man

Don't forget she and her young clone (IIRC) Margaret o'Brien the other girl who would cry at everything, appearing together in Little Women. Two sets of nails down a chalkboard.

Was June Allyson contracted to cry in everything including her role starring alongside James Stewart in the Glen Miller Story ?

As to B-47s, You could try asking here!

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

if i could remember which hd on which pc they're on, i have

7-8 47 pics from the sac museum in ne. or are they on a raid array? (this pc shit is wearin' me out!)

I've got tons of detail shots of the B-47. Contact me at the email address below and we'll work something out to get them to you.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I remember discussing B-47s in SAC with a mechanic at work once. I asked him if there were any in his squadron that didn't have the white undersides. "Yes" he said and then proceeded to figure which ones. Non-whites were limited to the weather ship and recon birds which I had suspected.

He also told about a scramble take-off and how only the first bird down the runway could actually see where it was going. The JATO sure filled the air with crap.

The SAC movie also has some great shots of the landing gear cycling out. As for June Allyson, I liked her well enough until she started doing those 'Depends' ads. Now she'll be forever linked to incontinence in my mind. Oh well.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller