Where to upload steam pics?

Aloha,

I am a third generation UP railroader and have an interesting archive of photos and other materials that I would like to share. I am looking for recommendations on which sites would be most suitable and reliable.

My grandfather retired as engineer of the City of San Francisco streamliner, and I have quite a number of photos of various locos he operated between 1907 and 1947, including his last run on the City of SF with cab shots; UP 9059, 9027, 9004, 806,

824,825,829,833,834,835,841,843,845, 7032, 7006, 4024, 4023, 4002,4000,3996,3977,3950,3941,3911,3905,3902,3611 wreck,3545,2906 before and after tinwork,2295, and his first ride, ol' 31 in 1907. Some of these pics are under power and pulling consists, many are just in the shops or yard. Some are quite scenic.

As Engineer of Road Tests (and later as the Research and Standards Engineer), my father had a lot of documentation for his work, including a number of detail shots (for the rivet counters) of the 4023 and 3941, including cab shots. There are also some technical reports on some of his test findings, and some detail drawings. I also have reference mechanical drawings and specs of ALL locos and tenders in a two volume set of "Union Pacific Locomotive and Tender Diagrams" revised 3-23-25 and Book #5 of "Union Pacific Railroad Co. Passenger Car Diagrams" which includes drawings from 1941-1960. There are a couple of other published works of drawings as well.

Needless to say, there are also a number of pics of the 844, including my grandfather in the cab, and myself in and on the loco, and views in the firebox. (In particular I have a stunning nighttime color 8x10 of her taken by one of the guys that worked for my dad in the lab.) I was a machinist and had the privilege of working on her when she was shopped in 1974 at Omaha.

In addition to all of this, my father also served in WWII and Korea in the transportation corps, and was shop superintendent at Inchon (receiving two battle stars for his efforts). There are some really interesting pics of the shops, operations, and locos, as well as some from his time on the Bengal and Assam in 1942. Fascinating stuff!

Some of the sites I have checked out seem pretty anemic, frankly. Maybe that's all there is? Maybe nobody cares about steam anymore? I expected to find much more online. I don't particularly want to create my own site. Any suggestions appreciated...

Reply to
Beachbum
[snip]

Oh, lots of people care about steam! Subscribe to alt.binaries.pictures.rail. A friendly bunch, who will be happy to see your photos.

Otherwise, I'd suggest several additional possibilities:

a) Union Pacific Railroad Historical society website is at

Contact them about uploading the photos, or maybe send them a DVD.

b) At some point, consider that your original photos are priceless, and should be conserved. Contact the Smithsonian, or your state's museum/archives. Find out if they're interested in the photos. Send a DVD to show them what you have. If they do accept the photos, you will receive a receipt for their appraised value for tax purposes. Maybe your town/city has a museum that archives local history. They would probably love to have at least a DVD copy of the images. Etc.

c) There are Yahoo groups on all kinds of subject, but I'm allergic to Yahoo, so i can't advise you about them.

d) You could sell DVDs of the collection.

Tips:

1) Keep in mind that there are people out there that ignore copyright. Nevertheless, insert a copyright notice on every image.

2) If you do donate images to a museum or archive, make sure you provide a licence for relevant uses. Do not give them your copyright, and require credit for any published images. FWIW, I've given our local museum a non-exclusive, unlimited licence to use my images as they see fit. I'm happy to report that with the help of a guy who donated his PhotoShop skills, and his pro-quality printer, they have been able to sell a few images and add much-needed dollars to their coffers.

3) Scan the images at a high optical resolution, but not so high that the scanned image shows grain. 1200-2400DPI is good for negatives, I find. For uploading to websites or news groups, make a reduced copy of the original image. 1600x1200 is a good size.

4) Learn how to use all the image processing your software affords. You don't need PhotoShop most of the time, but when you do need it, you really need it. OTOH, Elements is more than good enough for amateur use. Also, always work on a copy of the image file, never on the original.

HTH Wolf K.

Reply to
Wolf K