seeking AP-2H Neptune paint scheme info

Hello all,

I plan to assemble / convert my Hasegawa Neptune to an AP-2H as flown by VAH-21 in Vietnam. What a magnificant camouflage scheme! I am busy collecting info and need help with the top and bottom pattern of the wrap- around three tone camouflage. Does anyone have accurate drawings or a pointer as to where to find them? In the various sideview photos I have collected it appears that no two aircraft were alike, paintjob-wise. Is this correct? A scan of a drawing or clear top/bottom view photos would be most welcome.

TIA,

-Leon-

Leon

It's a great paint scheme and a pretty cool aircraft. The AP-2H (Napalm Nellie, Iron Butterfly, etc) has been high on my 1/48 scale injection-molded want list for a long time. "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat"

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Falcon has a conversion available, but I don't know if it provides any painting details. IIRC, Squadron's book on gunships has some photos & drawings, but I don't recall the detail.

Reply to
Frank May

I built this variant some years ago and you are right no two were the same though all are similar in colour placement, I had a copy of the official painting guide and combined with photos of "Napalm Nellie" the only one for which decals are commercially available amended the drawing accordingly. unfortunately I can't put my hands on the drawings at this time but I do have photos of the finished model which show the camouflage pattern quite well if you like I could scan them and email them to you. Bear in mind that while the falcon conversion gives you the radome and a few basic details it also leaves a lot out. to memory there is a sole surviving example of the AP-2H at the Pima Aero Museum. I also have a hell of a lot of detail pics of the Neptune inc cockpit, engines and full internal details if you'd like copies.

Reply to
Umineko

I kitbashed mine about 21 years ago, IIRC. I don't recall if the Falcon kit was out then or not, but all I used were a few pics for refs anyway.

Reply to
Frank May

There's an old Microscale decal sheet, I think it's called "Gunships" and I seem to remember it had markings and painting instructions for at least one of the "cloud camo" AP-2Hs (perhaps two) and a green/lt gray one as well.......if you can find it.

It's pretty old and probably hard to get. I had one of those sheets down in the basement a couple years ago but don't know where it is any more.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat"

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Hmm. Any AP-2H's ever have any SEA camo proposal, like in the USAF's TO

1-1-4?
Reply to
Frank May

With the really impressive colour scheme they had why would you want to paint them in SEA camo? there was an all green P2 variant in Vietnam though, was used for laying seismic sensors along the Ho Chi Minh trail during Igloo White if I recall correctly.

Reply to
Umineko

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Bill Woodier) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m17.aol.com:

Hello Bill,

Yes, Luckily I have that sheet. The instructions show only one sideview which is alas not enough. I also found that Microscale gets it wrong a lot with their instruction sheets so I need back-up :o). Thanks for the reply.

Cheers,

-Leon-

Reply to
Leon

"Umineko" wrote in news:3f2fa6a9$ snipped-for-privacy@news.comindico.com.au:

if you like I could scan them

Yes please! I am not planning on going crazy with te cockpit, but top and bottom view photos of your model would be most most welcome. If at all possible a scan of the drawing you mention. Please post them in ABMS or email then to snipped-for-privacy@vnaf.net (yes, that e-mail works).

Cheers,

-Leon-

Reply to
Leon

Leon

No problems, I will scan photos tonight and send them as soon as I am done.

Reply to
Umineko

"Umineko" wrote in news:3f30ff9b$ snipped-for-privacy@news.comindico.com.au:

They have arrived and look great. Thanks!

-Leon-

Reply to
Leon