Navy Aircraft Paint Scheme Question

All,

Can someone shed some light on the following Navy paint scheme

What is/was it called specifically ? I think the other branches, Marines and Airforce used a very similar scheme as well. Various aircraft have appeared in this livery and I'm trying to put together list of potential modeling subjects.

T-28's used this, A-4's and TA-4's, and T-35's as well. Any other interesting candidates ?

Pretty certain that this was a scheme used for training squadrons. Correct ?

Thanks !

Bill

Reply to
William R. Mattil

T-45, T-34, F9F-8T, NP-3D, after a quick Google search...and I think I've also seen a variation on it on a TPS DeHavilland Otter at NAS Pax.

Reply to
Rufus

Rufus,

Thanks a million ..... can you elaborate on the criteria that you used for your google search ? I actually did try that but came largely blank.

Was this scheme known by a particular name ?

Best Regards

Bill

Reply to
William R. Mattil

Don't forget the T-2 Buckeye's and T-39 Sabreliner's. I don't think there was a particular name for the paint scheme. It's just a high visibility arctic red on white scheme favored by training squadrons in the U.S. Navy. For a little while in the early 1960's, USAF T-38 Talons were painted that way as well. Then they went for an overall white paint job.

Chris

Reply to
CCBlack

I just Googled "USN training aircraft", and did an image search.

I'm not sure the scheme has a particular name, other than commonly being known as "hi-viz", and used during primary/secondary flight training. Sometimes variations are also used for arctic/antarctic transit, or during flight test - usually orange tips over some sort of grey. It's used on just about every USN aircraft assigned to Training duties from helos to fixed wing - I also seem to recall seeing some civil twins like Beech turboprops painted thus up around NAS Corpus Christi, Tx.

Something else you can do is Google photos from USN air stations assigned to the Training Command - TRAWINGTWO is at NAS Kingsville, NAS Beeville hosted TRAWING-3, but was closed while I was at Navy Kings, and NAS Meridian, MS are other jet schools. Try NAS Pensacola as well for primary trainers, and NAS Corpus for helos/multi-engine.

Reply to
Rufus

Not quite correct. The colors are Insignia White (FS17875) and International Orange FS12197). The Navy stopped using the red-orange in the 60's because it faded too fast.

This is the standard scheme on all USN training aircraft from at least

1965 through today. T-34B, T-34C, T-44, TS-2, TF-9J, T-2A/B/C, T-28B/C, T-39, T-29, F-11A, TH-1L, TH-57 all carried this scheme. Exceptions being the bi-centennial schemes in the mid 70's and in the later 80's and 90's due to a shortage of parts and airframes, the training command used some standard painted single seat A-4's.

John Alger USN(ret)

1972-1997 // 1310,1320 TA-4J, A-7E, EC-130Q, P-3B
Reply to
John