Revell german WW2 planes paint scheme

Why do I keep buying these!!!???? Every time I open the box and read the instructions for practically any german WW2 plane from Revell they tell me to waste my time and effort $%#&*^)ing about mixing paints to get a colour that the specify but are too mean to get humbrol to make for them.

I get so frustrated when I buy a kit, knowing I have all the paints necessary, only to find out that I need to waste hours mixing and measuring something that should easily be able to be substituted.

Has abybody got any suggestions for substitutes? Some of the colours have an RLM number - I've not seen these before recently, is that (yet) another paint manufacturer? Do I have to buy a $10,000 chromatic analyser and paint pigment kit to make models- is that what Revell wants?

Could someone please help out - the kit is a BF109-10 Revell 04532. I'd like to substitute Humbrol paints without having to mix. The colours of particular annoyance are: (Revell colour numbers used)

80% matt Yellow 15 + 20% matt white 5 (maybe humbrol cream or linen?) 50% matt light green 55 + 30% matt white 5 + 20% matt stone grey 75 80% matt granite grey 69 + 20% matt yellow 15 80% matt sea green 48 + 10% matt yellow 15 + 10% panzer grey 78

No wonder there's only 40-odd Revell paints - you have to make the rest yourself!!

Thanks all,

-- _________________ Norman Lever Melbourne, Australia _________________

Reply to
Norman Lever

Reich Luftfahrts Ministerium, the German control authority for flying things. Gunze Sangyo, Model Master and Polly Scale all have RLM colors right from the bottle and between them all RLM colors are available.

Give us the RLM numbers and we can tell you who makes it.

Reply to
Ron

Try these web sites

Hope this helps

Reply to
Hutchi9610

Hello Norman:

best thing to do is pick up aircraft books, and also to look at pics of the real planes, there is alot of these planes in museums, and they usually have good pics, as for the colors, I can recommend a website that has a lot of info

a lot of people have pics here and helpful advice

check them out

take care and happy modeling

George

Reply to
George

Why do you have to paint the scheme called for in the instructions? With the variations in actual colors in real life, I don't think there's an "exactly perfect" color around anyway. It's no sin to paint the kit another scheme than what the instructions call for.

Reply to
famvburg

RLM numbers are the Reichs Luftfarts Ministerium numbers i.e. german standards. Model Master, Gunze and X-Tracolor carries these colors in their lines. Several companies also makes charts that compares these colors from different brands. Some even on the net IPMS Stockholm if I remember correctly

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

I'm beginning to think that Humbrol is going the way of making you buy a group of their paints to mix and match. They've discontinued many colours in the past decade that are frequently used for WWII and put out an expensive binder with mixing charts. I love Humbrol's but they're driving me to ModelMaster.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

FWIW If enough people follow that lead, Humbrol will get the message and re introduce the colors.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey