Revell german WW2 planes paint scheme

Why do I keep buying these!!!????
Every time I open the box and read the instructions for practically any
german WW2 plane from Revell they tell me to waste my time and effort
$%#&*^)ing about mixing paints to get a colour that the specify but are too
mean to get humbrol to make for them.
I get so frustrated when I buy a kit, knowing I have all the paints
necessary, only to find out that I need to waste hours mixing and measuring
something that should easily be able to be substituted.
Has abybody got any suggestions for substitutes?
Some of the colours have an RLM number - I've not seen these before
recently, is that (yet) another paint manufacturer? Do I have to buy a
$10,000 chromatic analyser and paint pigment kit to make models- is that
what Revell wants?
Could someone please help out - the kit is a BF109-10 Revell 04532. I'd like
to substitute Humbrol paints without having to mix.
The colours of particular annoyance are:
(Revell colour numbers used)
80% matt Yellow 15 + 20% matt white 5 (maybe humbrol cream or linen?)
50% matt light green 55 + 30% matt white 5 + 20% matt stone grey 75
80% matt granite grey 69 + 20% matt yellow 15
80% matt sea green 48 + 10% matt yellow 15 + 10% panzer grey 78
No wonder there's only 40-odd Revell paints - you have to make the rest
yourself!!
Thanks all,
--
_________________
Norman Lever
Norman Lever wrote:
Reich Luftfahrts Ministerium, the German control authority for flying things. Gunze Sangyo, Model Master and Polly Scale all have RLM colors right from the bottle and between them all RLM colors are available.
Give us the RLM numbers and we can tell you who makes it.
Reply to
Ron
Try these web sites
Hope this helps
Reply to
Hutchi9610
Hello Norman:
best thing to do is pick up aircraft books, and also to look at pics of the real planes, there is alot of these planes in museums, and they usually have good pics, as for the colors, I can recommend a website that has a lot of info
a lot of people have pics here and helpful advice
check them out
take care and happy modeling
George
Reply to
George
Why do you have to paint the scheme called for in the instructions? With the variations in actual colors in real life, I don't think there's an "exactly perfect" color around anyway. It's no sin to paint the kit another scheme than what the instructions call for.
Reply to
famvburg
RLM numbers are the Reichs Luftfarts Ministerium numbers i.e. german standards. Model Master, Gunze and X-Tracolor carries these colors in their lines. Several companies also makes charts that compares these colors from different brands. Some even on the net IPMS Stockholm if I remember correctly
Reply to
Claus Gustafsen
I'm beginning to think that Humbrol is going the way of making you buy a group of their paints to mix and match. They've discontinued many colours in the past decade that are frequently used for WWII and put out an expensive binder with mixing charts. I love Humbrol's but they're driving me to ModelMaster.
Bill Banaszak, MFE
Reply to
Bill Banaszak
FWIW If enough people follow that lead, Humbrol will get the message and re introduce the colors.
Bill Shuey
Reply to
William H. Shuey
OK, those are all available in the Gunze and Model Master lines (both acrylic and enamel for the latter). 02 is a greenish grey, 04 a chrome yellow, 70 black green, 81 braunviolet (looks more like brownish olive drab actually) and 82 is a green (some argument as to whether it's a dark or bright shade.....RLM 82 and RLM 83 have some "issues" as to which is which). Being an Me-109 the 82 is probably the darker shade.
Norman Lever wrote:
Reply to
Ron