XB-70

After a long time of not modeling ( 6 years) I'm in the middle of trying to restart this beast. Is it just me or is this just one of the worse fitting models around? And if the B-52's from the same stable, are just as bad, I will just put them on Ebay. It looks like I'm going to go through tubes of filler on the upper fuselage to wing assembly. Now don't get me wrong, I am not adverse to using filler and sanding ( I built their B-35 kit so I know you will need a bunch on AMT kits) but this sucker is just bad. I've always loved this plane and my wife says that if I go missing at the Air Force museum she knows where to find me. And I've got four of these kits but I swear if i get through this one, it will be the last. People say to invest in oil but with Italeri releasing allot of the old ESCI AMT kits then invest in Squadron Green stuff.

Mike

Reply to
MQM107

Heya Mike,

I don't know about the XB-70 personally, but everything I've read/ heard/ been told is that it is a serious dog. Don't feel bad about the barking it's making at you, it barks at EVERYONE! The Buffs aren't QUITE as bad. There's some fit issues, and whomever decided to split the fueselage needs to be up against the wall with the lawyers when the revolution comes.The key problems with the Buffs is the wing droop, or lack thereof... Here's a link to my webpage where I did a kit-bash of the Monogram D with the AMT G:

Of course, now DB conversions, Golden Dragon, and I guess there's someone else are making really good resin updates/conversions. Perhaps the best is the Golden Dragon TF-33 engines for the H kit. they actually have the right depth and 'bannanas' on the bypass out- lets. Kinda spendy, but they show up on Ebay quite regularly.

I agree with you on the Valk... That's one DAMN FINE bird! IMHO one of the the most beautiful aircraft on the planet. And my wife has said the EXACT SAME THING about me in the USAF museum, it's true too. :P Although more recently it's me with the B-47 and B-58 (which take a serious tie for 2nd place!).

If you get to where you need some modern Buff pics lemme know, I used to live at Minot AFB and would take detail pics at every open house. I've even got some detail pics of the weapons and other stuff too.

Hope this helps!

-andyh

Reply to
Drew Hill

mine is around 10% finished. wonder where the parts are... This is a beautiful plane and a sucky kit. Is this the only larger scale kit besides that tiny 1/1200 ? Minicraft thing?

It should be redone....

Craig

Reply to
crw59

Didn't Anigrand do it in 1:144 resin?

Reply to
The Old Man

I did the 1/72 AMT one a few years ago, and as I recall it beat any Testors kit I've ever not completed.

The only issue I had with mime was getting the wing to lay flat. Which I didn't...

Reply to
Rufus

I think Lindberg did a box-scaler of around 1/180 or so -- simple kit and easy to assemble. It was repoped a few years back.

Cookie Sewelll

Reply to
AMPSOne

it's still in production. it looks like a b70 and can be detailed very nicely.

Reply to
someone

There was the Aurora 1/110 scale kit but it eats lots of putty too. Lindberg's is an even smaller scale, and to me, the wings don't look quite right. One must also fill in the spot on the fuselage where the single fin from the airliner kit fits in, unless you have an original issue.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

On May 13, 8:47=A0pm, Mad-Modeller wrote:>

" snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net" wrote:> > > On May 13, 4:23 pm, MQM107 wrote:> > > After a long time of not modeling ( 6 years) I'm in the middle of> > > trying to restart this beast. Is it just me or is this just one of the> > > worse fitting models around? And if the B-52's from the same stable,> > > are just as bad, I will just put them on Ebay. It looks like I'm going> > > to go through tubes of filler on the upper fuselage to wing assembly.> > >

Now don't get me wrong, I am not adverse to using filler and sanding>

kits)> > > but this sucker is just bad. I've always loved this plane and my wife> > > says that if I go missing at the Air Force museum she knows where to> > > find me. And I've got four of these kits but I swear if i get through> > > this one, it will be the last. People say to invest in oil but with> > > Italeri releasing allot of the old ESCI AMT kits then invest in> > > Squadron Green stuff.> > > > Mike> > >

mine is around 10% finished. wonder where the parts are... This is a>

kit> > besides that tiny 1/1200 ? Minicraft thing?> > > It should be redone....> > > Craig> > There was the Aurora 1/110 scale kit but it eats lots of putty too.> Lindberg's is an even smaller scale, and to me, the wings don't look> quite right. =A0One must also fill in the spot on the fuselage where the> single fin from the airliner kit fits in, unless you have an original> issue.> > Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.- Hide quoted text -> > - Show quoted text -Saw Iron Man last night. Fun flick. In one scene there is a very brief shot of a shelf in his office with a row of model planes. Not enough time to ID all of them, but the first on the left was a small scale XB-70.Some fairly nice F-22 shots, too.Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

There's the old Aurora one, that's pretty large.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

They still make it:

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Here's some info on the Aurora one:

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Now only if my LHS would carry it - the Academy 1/300's I have are 'alright', but a larger unit would really be nice

Reply to
USS Andromeda

just ask ernie at this email where to find the lindberg. they may have one in vegas at the hobbytown. lmk if you want me to snag it for you.

snipped-for-privacy@lindberg-models.com

Reply to
someone

Hmm... you did know that the first '70 had no dihedral, while they but

5 degrees in the wing on the second???
Reply to
OldSchool

Mine kit had/has a problem not with dihedral, but with a warp fore to aft...one of the wings is nice and straight, but the other has a notable twist in it.

Reply to
Rufus