Ferrari 250 GTO info

I have recently aquired the dregs of the Gunze kit and am seeking info on availability of the Italieri kit for replacement body parts, or does anyone know what the original kit Gunze upgraded was. Any info would be most appreciated.

Reply to
valdan

Italeri did a 250 GTO, and from the last ten years of contests and SAE annuals issues, it seems to be the favored choice of those winning top prizes. It was also reboxed by Testors years ago.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Hiett

Positive, and the Protar and Italeri were not the same. IIRC the Testors rebox has the Italeri logo on the box flap. Then there were the Gunze 250 GTO kits...

IIRC, the Protar (who had three or four kit versions) has wider front fenders when viewed from above and I think has three slots, with a filler piece if one wants a two slotter.

Italeri also did a 250 GT SWB (not a repop of the ESCI kit), 275 GTB and a couple of 365 GTB4 Daytonas, in addition to the previously mentioned models.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Hiett

"Tom Hiett" avait soumis l'idée :

Humm... Not sure the Protar and the Italeri is the same. I have the Proto in front of me, and I built the Italeri some years ago, and I don't remember a so nice engine in the Italeri.

You're maybe right, but I don't remember this detail.

Cheers

Reply to
Flying Frog

Thanks for the info Tom.

I have never seen this kit here in Italy. I really don't know if I missed it or if it was only for non Italian market.

Bye, Rodolfo.

Reply to
Rodolfo

Oops sorry Tim. The Protar is really nice and very complete. I don't think necessary to buy an aftermarket set with this kit. the wheels are also very fine.

Airfix, in the past time, did one, in the "high tech" serie, with PE and white metal. It is a reboxing of the gunze kit.

Reply to
Flying Frog

Tom

Probably not necessary to buy any aftermarket stuff for anything...

Its pretty awesome. Has white metal, resin, turned aluminum pies, transmission, photoetch, full wiring and a detailed assembly manual.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Hiett

"Tom Hiett" a couché sur son écran :

Arghhh !!! My appologies ! Too hot weather on France today ! The head doesn't work nicely :(

Right ! A very good kit, like I would like to find more on the market, for a good price at more.

Reply to
Flying Frog

Thanks Tom, but I had built a Protar kit some years ago, and probably I skip the notice because not interested. I'll do a little research just for curiosity.

I don't know if you know Protar kit, but it is really very fine. A good start to detailed the model without buy any A/M items.

Bye, Rodolfo.

Reply to
Rodolfo

Italeri produced a range of 250s, including the California Spyder, 250 GT SWB and the ubiquitous 250 GTO. They are all very nice finely moulded kits, though I always thought the wire wheels of the Protar GTO kit are the best I have ever seen in plastic, Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
William Davies

Yes, Italeri DID issue a 250 GTO. It has been on and off their production list for many years now. It was last issued in 2001 (with an enamel Ferrari pin!) and ran about $25.00. It should be available with a little looking. It is considered a good kit. Remember, there is NO perfect 250 GTO as each real car was slightly different from its kin.

Reply to
Steve J

So Italeri took the plunge and actually licensed it through Mattel (who manages all Ferrari merchandise worldwide)? I saw nothing about a reissue of any of their Ferrari kits on any of the modeling forums I follow.

I want some 275GTBs and a 250 GT SWB!

Tom

Reply to
Tom Hiett

Correctimundo! Italeri indeed did produce a very nice Ferarri 250 GTO! Here's a link to mine:

Art Anderson

Reply to
EmilA1944

Rodolpho,

Yes, Italeri did issue the early 1960's 250GTO, the kit I built was in Italeri box, and has no relation, other than shape, to the Gunze kit. Even has Italeri logo on some parts!

Art Anderson

Reply to
EmilA1944

Replica & Miniatures of Maryland. At least did. I think they still do.

Crummy pics at :

Its in many major contest winning GTOs.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Hiett

"Path Not Found"

"Maybe, there is error in link or link is outdated."

Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall

Try this one (so, I'm not good at typing URL's!):

Art

Reply to
EmilA1944