Rolling Your Own

Where can I get a good primer on making your own decals using a inkjet printer? Mike IPMS

Reply to
Michael Keown

This is an interesting idea. I wonder if there is special decal paper but about three decades ago there was an article in the Airfix magazine whereby the coloured gummed paper as used by children for tearing up and making montages was used as a backing.

Modellers varnish was painted on thinly then left to dry. The decal was painted over or drawn on using an architects pen then left to dry. All was needed was to cut around this then drop the thing in tepid water.

I wonder how this has advanced ?

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

A couple of years ago Fine Scale Modeler had a fairly detailed article. It may be on their online site, or try to get a back issue. It was all computer jargon, and that's White Man's Magic to me. Kim M

Operation American Freedom-Where is our regime change?

Reply to
Royabulgaf

That technique goes back to a women's craft that was popular in Europe in the 1860s: Decalcomania - a transferring (as to glass) of designs from specially prepared paper; also : a design prepared for such. From decalquer (to copy) and mania (madness, craze).

Just another bit of useless information.

RobG (the Aussoe one)

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

While there are many nuances, here is the basic idea.

Use regular decal paper - it is cheaper than inkjet stuff.

Print out decals on sheet of regular white paper. Take printout and decal paper to a copy shop with a color copier. Have them load decal paper (proper surface up, of course) and copy your printout to the decal paper.

Be careful taking decal sheet home. When home spray with a coat of clear flat or gloss, depending on color scheme.

Some folks say you do not need to overspray decals made on laser printer or color copier - wrong! The printing is still fragile.

Reply to
Don Stauffer