Red Baron Triplane

Anybody have any tips on how to make the padding that went around the cockpit edge of a World War I aircraft. My old man has given me all his built models that he made during his years in the USAF, and I want to go back and rebuild them as they are all falling apart anyway. The current rebuild is the Red Baron's aircraft and I would like to add some scratch built seat belts, padding along the edge of the cockpit, new rigging, and new control wires for the moving surfaces. Any advice would be a great help, this is the first time I've tried any subject this old. I don't know what scale the plane is but the men stand about 2 1/2" and the plane is about 7" long. 1:24 I'm guessing.

Thanks Guys

Reply to
Zack

It's the 1/28 model, I'd say...

Reply to
machf

1:28, as legend has it...

Try using some rubber or vinyl tubing of the appropriate size/thickness slit along the length and slipped over the edge to replicate the cockpit edgeroll you're talking about.

Reply to
Rufus

I'd try flexible tubing. You have to lay it out straight and slit it lengthwise, then fit it around, cutting to fit.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Reply to
Darryl Dyke

I would guess it's a Revell 1:28 scale kit. Have you considered using insulation from an electrical wire? slice it ane try to push it over the coaming.

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

I hadn't thought of the wire until you all suggested it. (when you did, it seemed obvious) I've added some internal ribbing, a scratch built pump, and a scratch built throttle. I had to go in and add brass tubing to stiffen the wings, and I will have to make new struts as the originals were destroyed during the tear down. I will try to post some pictures to the other n/g when I'm done.

Thanks Guys

Reply to
Zack