Remove Yellowed Shellac

I'm restoring an old model that has both metal and wood parts covered with shellac that has weathered to a yellow color. I'm unsure what the paint is ... certailnly not acryllics as it's about 50 yrs old. Any suggestiond as to how the shellac can be removed w/o damaging the underlying paint?

Al Al Fisher snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
AFisherJr

if it's real shellac, try alcohol on an unseen place.

Like E said use alchohol in an unseen locale; I'd go with isopropyl first and then try shellac thinner (methanol, methylated spirits) or you can waste perfectly good ethanol by using vodka or gin. If that doesn't work you may be stuck with using something more vitriolic like enamel thinners or laquer thinner and then trying to restore the patina. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

One more fluid to try: benzine/naptha/lighter fluid may also work. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper