revelle lacrosse

scored one for short money. looks like a nice little kit. but.....what scale is it? any caveats or add ons? i also found a tamy kv-2 for cheap. only wish was for better tracks, AMPSone, any switches i can pull?

1/40, I believe.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

It is 1:40 and the only add-on that I can think of is this: the white missile, according to a former co-worker that played with these during his tour, were the test vehicles. The service missiles were a shade of OD green, according to him. Do a webcheck to make sure.

Reply to
Old Timer

"Old Timer" wrote

Yes, missiles were OD with black markings. The truck is the prototype as well, I think the production units had a different rear fender arrangement, most notably.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

thanks. i thought the paint was specious. the directions have parts of the duece and a half painted colors i never saw as a child. black springs, exhaust, etc. i'm curious about the lacrosse, so i will research it. i seem to have missed it during my younger days.

isn't the basic truck a stock duece? damn, hello google!

"e" wrote

Actually I think it's a 5 ton M39 variant. In any case, not just a cargo truck with a new bed.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

all the info's say a modded 6x6, is that the m39?

"e" wrote

Well, that's one. You originally said "deuce", meaning 6x6, 2-1/2 ton. That's the contemporary M34 series. They're hard to tell apart without a really close examination, but side by side you can see one is markedly bigger. There were about 25 variants of each weight class - regular cargo, long bed cargo, dropside cargo, tractors, vans, wreckers, dumps, dual and single rear wheel options, pole-setters, bolsters, plus special chassis.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

ok, i'll have to research further.

"e" wrote

I have the M389 helical rail launcher TM in the basement but it's packed to move.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

that's ok, i can do the legwork.

boxcars are turning in my mind. (apologies to rem) (make it stop!!!)

Makes for a 'colourful' model. They were selling them to kids and plain ol' OD would have been boring. I guess that makes me abnormal. Most Lionel stuff came in colours when I was a kid and I wanted boxcars in plain flat boxcar red. That's what I saw almost all the time on the prototypes.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

The M389 Lacrosse launcher was an M44 2 1/2 ton Reo chassis, ergo a stock single-wheel Deuce that I think changed over to the later dual wheel variant.

The M386 Honest John used a long wheelbase M139C chassis derived from the M45 5 ton chassis, and was kitted by at least Adams in 1/40 and Renwall in 1/32.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

The Adams variant led to the UPC and IIRC, the Life-Like versions. Would love to see ~those~ again~!

Reply to
Old Timer

so the kits dual wheel chasis is ok? i'm using operational missile colors.

Renwal did the Lacrosse in 1/32, not the Honest John. Maybe that's what got me thinking about the 2-1/2 vs 5 ton mix-up. It was Renwal who used the same chassis for the Lacrosse as for their wrecker, and the wrecker was supposed to be a 5 ton. Or vice versa. Or something.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

are we confused yet?