Russia's First Stealth Fighter

Looks like a re-badged F-22 with a few Sukhoi pieces...another one of those cases of similar designs due to similar needs, without any copying *wink wink*

Reply to
eyeball

I wonder just how stealthy those big engine rear ends extending down half the rear fuselage are.

And no, it does not appear to be that close a copy of the Raptor if ya ask me.

Reply to
AM

yes only in overhead, the rest looks nothing at all like it. I thought it was a triplane for a minute.

Reply to
eyeball

I'm baffled by the tail fins being raked outwards. Surely to reduce reflections they should be raked inwards?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Modern coatings technology can work wonders. Still I don't see that stealthy an aircraft in it. And no thrust vectoring, which the Russians do have.

Tho it undoubtedly has a glass cockpit, and advanced avionics. So this could be a big step up for them. Maybe... It could also just be a technology test bed, and they are already working on further or other designs. I always loved the Su 27 line and it's progeny myself.

Gotta keep an eye on them sneaky Rooskies lol

Reply to
AM

...it's always been easiest to shoot someone in the back. Trick is, and will always be, not to let them get behind you.

Reply to
Rufus

That's not what that is for. When you cant the verticals outward you can reduce the size of the horizontal tailplanes - the force on a conventionally configured aircraft (i.e. - not a canard) points down because a restorative pitching moment pulls the nose down toward the horizon. All wings/airfoils are designed with nose down pitching moments - defined as positive.

By making the stabs smaller you reduce trim drag, thus further aiding range, endurance, and the ability to super-cruise. So the direction and amount of cant becomes a performance trade based on weight and structural requirements.

Reply to
Rufus

The Russians don't do 2-D nozzles, but that doesn't mean that there is no thrust vectoring - ala the MK-30 or Su-35. Just because the nozzles are round doesn't mean they don't vector.

Reply to
Rufus

I know, but watching the test flight on RT yesterday, they looked like conventional nozzles to me. I've the seen the Russian vectoring nozzles before, and those did not look like them from the video. (from view from chase AC behind the T 50)

Reply to
AM

...why would you think they would demo the ability on that particular "test" flight? If that was video of a first flight, there's no way I'd vector in flight until I had more data in hand about the structural integrity of the airframe, and integrity of it's systems.

There are lots of reasons I could think of as to why they wouldn't "show off" capabilities of a "stealth" aircraft when first revealed - we don't even know how long this thing has been in the works, but I bet it wasn't a few months...I wouldn't doubt that they are newly developed engines, probably just as "advanced" as the airframe.

There's still a lot we don't know about this jet. But I'd bet bux they wouldn't be stepping backwards....

Reply to
Rufus

I never would think that... I grew up in an aviation family, I have an idea how the test flight stuff works up to a certain point. I've been around airplanes all my life. My father is slowly slowly writing a book on his 45 1/2 years at American Airlines :) (some amazing stories here)

I've also see the Russian thrust vectoring nozzles from a close up viewpoint, and these didn't look the same. (maybe a new version)

All the same I do agree with you, it would not make sense for them not to put them on this AC

Hey dude I'm on your side, I'm just postulating here. Calm down...

Reply to
AM

Yeah...I get that...just that a lot of odd speculating goes on here, and being close to jets myself I'm a bit...sensitized. No harm, no foul.

...you should see the nozzle on the F-35 close up...talk about "different"...

Reply to
Rufus

the russians copying!? say it ain't so, tell me it's not true!

Reply to
someone

sniping is good. never let thm know it's coming.

Reply to
someone

just because we're hypnotized, it don't mean we can't dance.

Reply to
someone

...contrary to popular belief, altitude is not always your friend.

Reply to
Rufus

mybe it's REALLY stealthy and those are disguised warp drive nacelles. (couldn't resist.)

Reply to
someone

indeed. the best would surely be one's you can't determine point of origin from? or misleading?

Reply to
someone

Mostly it's about making yourself an easier target...by being easier to spot. And target...

...but as another illustration, I used to share an office with a guy that flew in F4s over Viet Nam...he used to talk about being in formation flying at high altitude and watching Migs pass well beneath them 180 out and not being allowed to turn on them...then the Migs would climb up and pick off planes in his formation from behind. They'd be pressing on and suddenly someone's wingman would blow up...heavy losses...

Reply to
Rufus