Slightly O/T Power Tool Question

I have a 2" chop saw that works great on metal and wood but it runs a little too fast for plastic. I would like to "dial it down". I think at lower speed it would work great on plastic as well. I have seen the foot pedal type rheostats but I was wondering if anyone sells one with a knob / dial that I can plug it into and set it at a low speed.

Reply to
Count DeMoney

I obviously don't know where you are in the world but these things....

...are readily available for woodworking routers and other power tools. I have a similar one to control the cutter speed on a CNC router/engraver I built and it works very well.

Reply to
Larry Green

Thanks Larry,

That's exactly what I am looking for. We have a Harbor Freight here locally.

Reply to
Count DeMoney

Taking this thread a bit off-topic, Model Expo is now selling a modeler's drill press for seventy bucks. I have been looking for a little drill press for my modeling bench for some time, and recently took a flyer and ordered it without seeing any reviews.

It is okay. Base casting is a little rough, but that does not affect the operation. The drill has a "speed control", but it is the poorest part of the system. HOWEVER, drilling does not require super-good speed control, and it is adequate, though just, for drilling plastic, wood, and brass. I have no idea what technology (resistive or solid state chopping) the speed control uses.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Be careful, the motor on the saw must be a brush type motor for any of the speed controls you are looking at to work. If it is a brush motorm, the Harbor Freight router speed control, or a fceiling fan motor speed controller will work.

OTOH if the motor is induction, split phase, capacitor run etc these devgices will not work and may harm the motor.

Reply to
Bradford Chaucer