Slightly OT... Web page for a guy making a flight simulator?

Hey all!

Several years and computer crashes ago, I had come across a web page by a dude who was making his own flight simulator and was building everything from surplus/salvage equipment. He was using an actual ejection seat, control columns, real instruments and had a bank of monitors. I've lost the web page and after an hour or so on Google can't seem to find it.

Does anyone know if the page is still around and how much updating he's done to his system?

Thanks a bunch!

Reply to
hill4448

Just poking around Google:

Hope this helps!

Stephen "FPilot" Bierce/IPMS #35922

Stephen Bierce

Probably best to disarm the ejector seat first, or else cut a big hole in the ceiling? :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

It's a growing disease. You'll probably do as I do and look in the standard flight simulator forums then find side-links to full cockpits with systems that use real display units. All these people are probably single, btw!

I never knew that Microsoft would even give a nod in that direction though?

Richard Brooks

of the engineers who actually flew the F-15 said it was a pretty good simulator. I think we were running it on an Atari, have to think about it. Then the B-1 would take off or get ready to and we'd go back to work. Sort of weird at the time. If the programmers actually knew who was running the program and where it was being run. ....

Ran across a guy a few years later, he actually collected surplus stuff. Had an F-111 escape module, entire thing. My future wife knew I wanted one of those for the living room....right.....would be nice to check the model building though.

Reply to
frank

...I'm a sim addict myself, but CRAP...why don't people just get a pilots license already? I did...

...is fun though.

Reply to
Rufus

Most of the F/A-18 jocks I know say that the Hornet 3.0 sim flight model is pretty near exactly how the the real jet flies...with the exception of the engine model. The sim is severely under thrusted when reduced to a single engine.

Reply to
Rufus

Wow, do you bring back memories here. I still have that loaded on a 486 DX/2 66 I did like the Hornet a lot6, but the MiG 29 was my favorite back then I also have Tornado loaded on this machine

I play Falcon 4.0 now and it still is one of the best flight sim's ever. I'm just hooked on F 16's...

Online I'm on hyperlobby with IL 2 1946, if any of ya all play this let me know. My favorite A/C to fly is the I 153. That or a Zero is second, and a Yak 3 third, tho I'm getting real partial to the P 51 !

Reply to
AM

I used to pull a trick with Falcon 1.0 on teh PC where I wrote a batch routine that would automatically set a RAM drive, copy the program to it, and then execute it from there...but it ran so fast that way that you couldn't actually play it - upset the timing of the "real time".

Falcon 4.0 is the single best desktop flight sim I've ever seen...and I've had my hands on some full-up, full cockpit domed sims. About the only thing it doesn't seem to model correctly are the effects of gross weight and drag as you load the jet out and/or burn fuel. The bogey AI is also pretty good.

I've got the Mac version running on my old Sawtooth and am in the throws of building a low to medium fi cockpit for it myself, using my 22" display as the control panel and my 55" LED TV as the out the window.

Reply to
Rufus