small disaster

I was forced to go to a week-long seminar in San Diego CA this past week. I would call my wife every evening to relate my adventures.

She topped me on Friday night: Our neighbor had run his Ford Expedition into the side of our (rental) house. Not anywhere expendable, of course, like my daughter's room, or the one working bathroom, oh, no: The very corner where my model table was set up. My wife said that stuff was scattered clear across the room.

I returned Saturday evening. Wow. The family had picked up everything and put in boxes on the righted, but wobbly, table. Several models were damaged from flying off the shelves, but they were crappy MPC and Kitechs that I'd built for practice, so no big loss.

The only spillage, they said, was the distilled water jug. No paint or solvents seem to have leaked.

The airbrush compressor works, but I haven't found my Badger airbrush yet.

So it'll be several days before I can get back to actual building. I had said I was going to tidy and rearrange my work table, but god damn! didn't want to be forced to do it!

So the side of the house is stove in. Little else was broken (the keyboard foot, when the monitor fell on it), but every box and piece of furniture on that end of the house was shifted, some up to 2 inches (5 cm).

But on the bright side, I got to visit San Diego's Air and Space Museum (why the HELL does everything in Balboa Park close at 4:30 or 5:00??) and the Maritime Museum. Not enough time to check out USS Midway, though.

Anyway, it's good to be home.

-- CV

Reply to
CortxVortx

on 10/7/2007 9:38 AM CortxVortx said the following:

Wow, that sucks. Don't forget to add all the damage to your stuff for the insurance claim. Besides the computer and your antique Queen Anne workbench, you'll probably have to replace *all* those models. :-)

Reply to
willshak

CortxVortx wrote: : : : I was forced to go to a week-long seminar in San Diego CA this past : week. I would call my wife every evening to relate my adventures. : Glad to hear nobody was hurt. A friend had a very drunk person drive into his kitchen at around 3:00 AM. Fortunately, everybody was sleeping upstairs. But, it was very upsetting. : : But on the bright side, I got to visit San Diego's Air and Space Museum : (why the HELL does everything in Balboa Park close at 4:30 or 5:00??) : and the Maritime Museum. Not enough time to check out USS Midway, : though. : Dunno. Perhaps it is a left coast thing? I noticed the same hours for museums in Seattle this summer.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

I'm an agnostic bordering on a atheist...that being said, I'd still be thinking about that this may be a sign of some sort regarding how much time you are spending on the models versus the family. It might be time to pick up a chicken from down at the grocery store with the giblets included in the little paper bag stuck down in its innards... if the heart is missing, I'd be very worried, as the Romans lost a whole fleet that way during the Punic Wars. If you walk out the door tomorrow and an owl craps on you, don't say you haven't been warned. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

A offering to Sprue - Muse Of Plastic Model Building, from the insurance payment might not be out of line. Fairly simple model kits bought and donated as free gifts to needy families as Christmas gifts for their children are sure to gain her favor, and at that point you are not only out of trouble, but may well find ITC F-108 Rapier kits for sale at local garage sales for a dollar apiece. This has never happened to me...but I still have faith. :-)

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

to save time, just wash in the blood of a tree.

Reply to
someone

Pat Flannery wrote in news:13gjbpvsjrbic91 @corp.supernews.com:

insurance

Excellent suggestions, Willshak and Pat. Must keep them in mind!

Found the airbrush (Badger 200) where my wife had put it with the Dremel and a few other things. No damage.

So, wait until the slumlord and his insurance rep look over the damage. Might can set up my table again with bare necessities, to move when the repair starts. We'll see.

Reply to
CortxVortx

Pat Flannery wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I'm atheist way past agnostic. How 'bout I have Italian food to appease the Flying Spaghetti Monster? I need a touch of the noodly appendage about now.

Hmm... Chicken spaghetti? Or is that tempting fate?

Maybe I'll seek the answers in the entrails of a certain neighbor...

Reply to
CortxVortx

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote in news:cziOi.849$ snipped-for-privacy@fe09.news.easynews.com:

Just what I need: Trapped in amber.

Without even walking the Path.

Reply to
CortxVortx

CortxVortx wrote in news:Xns99C26219CF8DFwmewatkinsyahoocom@216.196.97.136:

Damage report:

P-40E (MPC Profile 1/72) -- Main landing gear broke off; one still MIA

YF-22 (Kitech 1/72) -- Vertical and horizontal planes broke off (built with wheels up)

No other damage to models in the same area (including F-18A Kitech 1/72, P-47 MPC Profile 1/72, X-Wing AMT/ERTL 1/72, AT-ST AMT/ERTL). Other models were in other rooms.

I started back modeling about a year ago, and have done a mix of crap kits (Kitech, MPC) and better kits (Revell, Monogram) for skill-building before tackling the Tamiya and Hasegawa and other better-quality kits.

Coulda been worse!

-- CV

Reply to
CortxVortx

The Flying Spaghetti Monster will get you for saying that! You shall burn like overdone garlic toast! :-) A couple days back, down at the grocery store I came across the children's book "God Made Dinosaurs":

thought of going down into the bowels of the Ark and running into a pair of Tyrannosaurus Rex is an interesting one to say the least, And I think it's wise the Noah left them off, despite orders. I continue my work on "Ignorant Design", which speculates that God is something like a six-year-old who has latched onto a Gilbert's home DNA experimenters kit, with things like the platypus being the result. Periodic mass extinctions are due to His mother cleaning up Junior's playroom once a week and flushing most of his experiments down the toilet, which also neatly explains the flood story.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

On the bright side, maybe someone will clone you to be part of "Holocene Park" millions of years in the future. :-)

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery